Thread: Lake Sonoma 1-3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Sonoma 1-3

Chachie you had a great report and looks like you did great, thanks for your informative guide as well........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if Steve would chime in that is his home territory. Did not know about Don though. Good reading fellas, I am sure he will heed your information closely.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chachie View Post
    Thank you for that!!! I have a Helix7 with the HD contour maps, so im good on mapping, and i even bought a couple fin junkie flys, aaaaand they got left on the table at home, DOH! But thank you for the tips, we will be out there much more in the coming months here. Do you just run the fly straight on a leader, or do you run any sort of dodger or anything?
    I run them straight, the bigger fish spook on flashers/dodgers except up past the S turn right behind the point. Typically that spot is good right about now. If you go to your left past Yorti Creek you'll be on the Crappie beds but the creek also winds in through there. Be careful around the creeks, they're closed to trout fishing until April. Basically, if it looks like a creek, it might be a creek, it probably is.

You'll probably catch more fish down around where you were from now until the end of February. They aren't going to be very big but they're still fun to catch.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    Thanks for the report. We spent a lot of time 'fishing" there, mainly Warm Springs arm. Actually we weren't really fishing but spotting for hogs. lol

Probably why we never caught anything. Haven't been back there since 2005. Good times and memories.

Got a few hogs out of there myself. It's bow only now and no dogs.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. We spent a lot of time 'fishing" there, mainly Warm Springs arm. Actually we weren't really fishing but spotting for hogs. lol

Probably why we never caught anything. Haven't been back there since 2005. Good times and memories.

Catch ya later ... hooks

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    chachie, get yourself a map of Lake Sonoma that shows where dry creek is. The trout still follow it and that's where the larger fish are when they come out of the creeks in mid April after the Crappie hatch and the smallie spawn/hatch. One of my most productive spots was the first boat in campground on the dry creek arm on your left side as you head up to the no-ski buoys. If you get on top of the old creek bed you'll increase your odds. 65 feet is the magic depth for the bigger fish and FinJunkies fly's out produce everything else. They had them at Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati. I bought a few and then made my own after that. Use the blue and silver early in the year and gradually darken up as the water warms up.

Almost forgot... Watch out for the trees.. LOL..
    Thank you for that!!! I have a Helix7 with the HD contour maps, so im good on mapping, and i even bought a couple fin junkie flys, aaaaand they got left on the table at home, DOH! But thank you for the tips, we will be out there much more in the coming months here. Do you just run the fly straight on a leader, or do you run any sort of dodger or anything?

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

chachie, get yourself a map of Lake Sonoma that shows where dry creek is. The trout still follow it and that's where the larger fish are when they come out of the creeks in mid April after the Crappie hatch and the smallie spawn/hatch. One of my most productive spots was the first boat in campground on the dry creek arm on your left side as you head up to the no-ski buoys. If you get on top of the old creek bed you'll increase your odds. 65 feet is the magic depth for the bigger fish and FinJunkies fly's out produce everything else. They had them at Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati. I bought a few and then made my own after that. Use the blue and silver early in the year and gradually darken up as the water warms up.

Almost forgot... Watch out for the trees.. LOL..

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice report, thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Sonoma 1-3

The boy and I headed out to Sonoma last Wednesday in search of chrome, after seeing the masses of bait the week before. Well the bait has since spread out a bit, but the fish are still there. Started off trolling along the dam, running a double stacked rigger at 60'(Wicked Lures trout killer) and 40'(watermelon speedy shiner), another rigger at 20'(firetiger speedy shiner), and a topline with a firetiger F7. Nada for a couple hours. Decided it was time to make a color change, and pulled the firetiger SS, and swapped it for a bubblegum SS. I didnt even have 10 pulls of line off the reel setting it back out and it was fish on for a little 10" buck. Got him in the boat and was able to set the line back and after that topwater strike, brought the shallow DR up to 5'. Within 2 minutes it was released and fish on for a much better 16" buck that we fought for upwards of 5 minutes!! He made a few good strong runs right off the bat, but eventually came along side the boat, released very healthy and strong. We made one more pass on that spot for no bites, and headed toward warm springs. as we were passing under the bridge, i noticed a blow up to our left and made a direct 90* turn towards it. Sure enough, as soon as we were just past it, WHAM, released and fish on! This time on the Watermellon SS. This one was almost identical to the last, a very healthy 16" buck, also released very healthy. We decided to take a break and head up the arm a bit, the boy wanted to do some casting with his new spinning rod. Found a rock wall with some brush at the base and started tossing a jerkbait, about 10 casts later for a beautiful chunky smallmouth! Overall had a great day and with this rain, Sonoma should really start to turn on!