Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Folsom Lake solo trip 1/11/18

Your very welcome
    I almost forgot, they're pretty easy to spot as they'll be missing an adipose fin

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Not planted with any regularity
    During the drought, the water at the hatchery got too warm so they had to dump them somewhere. The river gets it's allotment the rest went to Folsom.
    I want to say 2015 was the last year
    The hatchery used to release spawned out adults in folsom with tags to see if a fishery could be established, only about 5% were caught

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your timely response. I do remember the "too warm" issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    Are steelhead from nimbus generally planted in Folsom Lake or is there some other explanation for their presence?
    Not planted with any regularity
    During the drought, the water at the hatchery got too warm so they had to dump them somewhere. The river gets it's allotment the rest went to Folsom.
    I want to say 2015 was the last year
    The hatchery used to release spawned out adults in folsom with tags to see if a fishery could be established, only about 5% were caught

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    There are no kings in these pics.
    King salmon have a black mouth and forked tail among other things.
    Folsom has 3 distinct strains of rainbow trout.
    1- recent hatchery plants(bottom 3 trout in original post)
    2- elt or eagle lake trout, planted as subcatchables around 6". They grow fast though( top 2 fish in original post)
    3-steelhead from nimbus hatchery

The following Pic is king salmon, note black mouth and forked tail, spots are also only on tail and back sides are clean and fins are greenish.
    Fish will look iridescent purple on transition from back to chrome sides

Are steelhead from nimbus generally planted in Folsom Lake or is there some other explanation for their presence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman9310 View Post
    Went out today from granite bay and made the long trek up the north fork arm to just above rattle snake. Had a few quick grabs then finally stuck a nice 3.5lb rainbow on an apex. The fish was spitting out shad at the boat and was full of shad when I cleaned it. My question is, how far up the north fork arm did you have luck? Took me 25 min from granite bay to get up above rattlesnake. Id like to fish a little closer to next time. Thanks.
    I usually start fishing about 5 or 10 minutes in, just past the Peninsula Campground and troll upriver. I rarely go as far as the first floating outhouse before I circle back. If it's not happening there, I make about a 10-20 minute run to the dam. Then I'm always within about 5-15 minutes of the launch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is the launch ramp at rattlesnake not open? Why boat all that way when you can drive it on the freeway and launch right at rattlesnake? Been a year or so since i was out that way but it was operational then.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Troutman9310;1141965]Went out today from granite bay and made the long trek up the north fork arm to just above rattle snake. Had a few quick grabs then finally stuck a nice 3.5lb rainbow on an apex. The fish was spitting out shad at the boat and was full of shad when I cleaned it. My question is, how far up the north fork arm did you have luck? Took me 25 min from granite bay to get up above rattlesnake. Id like to fish a little closer to next time. Thanks.
    IMG_2516.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Went out today from granite bay and made the long trek up the north fork arm to just above rattle snake. Had a few quick grabs then finally stuck a nice 3.5lb rainbow on an apex. The fish was spitting out shad at the boat and was full of shad when I cleaned it. My question is, how far up the north fork arm did you have luck? Took me 25 min from granite bay to get up above rattlesnake. Id like to fish a little closer to next time. Thanks.

9. Likes KERPOW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok i see the differences in the fish, thanks allot this pic makes it very clear,

Post Thanks / Like

There are no kings in these pics.
    King salmon have a black mouth and forked tail among other things.
    Folsom has 3 distinct strains of rainbow trout.
    1- recent hatchery plants(bottom 3 trout in original post)
    2- elt or eagle lake trout, planted as subcatchables around 6". They grow fast though( top 2 fish in original post)
    3-steelhead from nimbus hatchery

The following Pic is king salmon, note black mouth and forked tail, spots are also only on tail and back sides are clean and fins are greenish.
    Fish will look iridescent purple on transition from back to chrome sides

12. Likes Jeff E liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast