Post Thanks / Like

Re: 65 year old rod??

I have several wild cats that keep fighting with the barn cats.
    Help yourself
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

My 60+ year old rod began life as an aerial for a jeep or tank.

The steel guides are welded on.

Cast real well going forward but the rebound was something else.

Would you be able to help restore it?

Oh, and can you find me some cat gut for the reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    If a guy brings you a 65 year old rod that he used when he was 12 do you make it look like a 12 year old fished with it or do you make it look new?? If he wants it to keep some of the "Patina" does that include leaving fish blood, scales, Pautzke's or worm guts on it? Not sure where to stop when you start on an old "Classic" rod. Oh well he is so old he probably won't be able to see any mistakes I made. I had a tough time finding all of the right colors of electrical tape to hold all of the guides on. How many coats of Flex Coat should you add over the electrical tape?
    Last edited by FresnoJack; 02-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    David

The only time a fisherman is telling the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said earlier I am not fast on this stuff. I am almost done with one rod and then I got hit with the "Bug". I didn't feel like doing anything and I did not even make it to the sports show. I am almost OK now and back to eating more or less normal food. When I am not feeling well strange odors really set me off and I didn't want to mix epoxy and have to clean brushes and things. I should get back on track soon.
    Good thing he isn't fishing this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I guess the rods are only 63 years old but they might be 65 by the time I finish them. I have only had them since last spring.

Cork and reel seat on the first rod are in good shape. Cleaned the cork a little but I am not going to sand it.
    The varnish on the fiberglass has seen better days but not bad enough to worry about. I was careful not to remove Wilbur Wright's name off the rod. I figured you wanted the original label.
    The second rod is a little bit rougher but I am still only going to clean the cork. Now that reel has to be the one Kit Carson used when he first saw the Carson River.
    I think I have 5 rods to repair and none of them are mine. My son just brings me rods with smashed or missing guides and takes one of mine as a substitute. He figures it will get me to wrapping sooner if he takes one of mine. Hasn't worked so far.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 01-14-2018 at 06:59 PM.

5. Likes monkey916, GW208, CRABBY, CDK, dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    I want to see where this goes? See if I have done it right. 52 years ago this spring I was trolling Folsom lake for kokanee. Remember them days? .I snagged a rod and Damm Quick reel.The reel was so corroded there was no saving it.
    The only thing savable was the 2 piece rod blank. SOOOOO. I did a rebuild. New guides, new handle cork and new ferrule and seat .
    I have used that old solid glass rod on Bat rays down to Bluegills.
    It looks battle worn and ugly like me but we earned our looks together in 52 years.
    Out of respect for the 65 years don't make it look new. It has fought a lot of battles to be proud of. Good looks don't count a damn capability does. Us old farts know that.
    LOL,yep that's what I told em,leave the Patina.Got that rod in the summer of 1955 or 56,I put it through hell for many many years....

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see where this goes? See if I have done it right. 52 years ago this spring I was trolling Folsom lake for kokanee. Remember them days? .I snagged a rod and Damm Quick reel.The reel was so corroded there was no saving it.
    The only thing savable was the 2 piece rod blank. SOOOOO. I did a rebuild. New guides, new handle cork and new ferrule and seat .
    I have used that old solid glass rod on Bat rays down to Bluegills.
    It looks battle worn and ugly like me but we earned our looks together in 52 years.
    Out of respect for the 65 years don't make it look new. It has fought a lot of battles to be proud of. Good looks don't count a damn capability does. Us old farts know that.
    Last edited by CDK; 01-14-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

You ol fart least I didn't bring ya the old auto wind up reel,LOL....

Post Thanks / Like

65 year old rod??

If a guy brings you a 65 year old rod that he used when he was 12 do you make it look like a 12 year old fished with it or do you make it look new?? If he wants it to keep some of the "Patina" does that include leaving fish blood, scales, Pautzke's or worm guts on it? Not sure where to stop when you start on an old "Classic" rod. Oh well he is so old he probably won't be able to see any mistakes I made. I had a tough time finding all of the right colors of electrical tape to hold all of the guides on. How many coats of Flex Coat should you add over the electrical tape?

10. Likes CRABBY, monkey916, CDK, dennis l liked this post