Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to fly fishing

Quote Originally Posted by LURKER916 View Post
    I have some advice...

Don’t do it. Save your money and buy a new spinning rod reel combo. And with the rest of the money you will save buy a new boat and truck.

Most expensive damn part of fishing ever made.
    And if you really want to save money don’t start Spey casting.
    Good luck!

On the real, go into KIENES and talk to Andy. Great dude, knows the Sac area really good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    at first I was like "oh man is he serious?" then I saw the last statement. will definitely check out Andy at Kienes! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have some advice...

Don’t do it. Save your money and buy a new spinning rod reel combo. And with the rest of the money you will save buy a new boat and truck.

Most expensive damn part of fishing ever made.
    And if you really want to save money don’t start Spey casting.
    Good luck!

On the real, go into KIENES and talk to Andy. Great dude, knows the Sac area really good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Go check out Keines fly shop. They were very good to me 15 years ago when I got into fly fishing. They also have classes that are reasonably priced. I haven’t been to the shop for a long time but they never gave me a “hard sell” like that other shop off hwy-80 in Citrus Heights does (still a good shop though).

As mentioned you don’t have to spend $1000’s if dollars on a setup even though you can easily. Buy a budget rod/setup and see if you will use it

Post Thanks / Like

Final piece of advice....... as far as spending on what, I suggest this order:

1) Fly Rod (Used Redington CT 486-4 $75)
    2) Fly Line (Rio Gold $90)
    3) Fly Reel (Garage Sale Pflueger Medalist $5)

The reel is a line holder...... You can get a inexpensive model, used.

Matching the rod and line to form a perfect combo is the key. The fly line may end up being the most expensive item on the list........ Lets face it, if it doesn't float (assuming you're going to start out with a floating line) or loses its ability to float over time, it's useless. Match the rod and line perfectly for your casting style and it's priceless..... The rod and line can be $165 total, but it could feel like it's a $900 combo. Price of the rod doesn't mean much if you can't match a line to it......

There are a lot of great deals on super used equipment.

Cabelas runs sales every now and then on the Redington Classic Trout fly rods. I like the 8'-6" models in that line up for standard Sierra streams, creeks, and small stillwaters.

In summary, you do not need to fork out several hundreds or even a thousand dollars to be a 'flyfisherman'.

p/s Buy a fly box of patterns and get out fishing..... you can learn tie your own patterns over time.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 02-02-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's like dancing.... Or making love, it takes a certain rhythm. Your not gonna learn your best moves without a woman.
    As far as gear I'd go to Cabela's and get one of their combos. They have lots of options from beginner to advanced. I have an RLS combo in 4wt which is nice for trout. Your gonna need a rod, real, start with floating line, leader, tippet which is a leader for your leader, some flies o suggest grabbing some copper John's and Woolly buggers, uhh maybe a bobber but now it's a "strike indicator", and a net and get out there!
    Last edited by chubbswheeler; 02-02-2018 at 09:12 AM.

6. Likes rivertamer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all of the advice! I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing beets being on the water!! You can't learn to drift, swing, strip, or cast from the computer or your lawn!. You can get pointers from the best there is but NOTHING will teach you more then TIME ON THE WATER!! Just get out there and fish and sooner or later it will all click.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

9. Likes chubbswheeler, SteelHunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend checking out Granite Bay Fly Casters - great bunch of guys - good place to learn all types of fly casting & fly tying

Post Thanks / Like

Mel Krieger - "The Essence of Fly Casting". Filmed 20+ years ago but Mel does a simple explanation and illustration of the fundamental foundation of fly casting that will get you started.....

I think there were two parts...... it's been awhile. 2nd part covers double hauling, etc.

Bottom line..... if you already understand the principle of loading and unloading a casting rod, then you will transfer your skills to fly casting without issue..... except you're casting the line...... fly casting, instead, should probably be called 'line casting'....... except Euro/Czech nymphing..... so on, and so on......

There are some YouTube clips taken from his video.

Post Thanks / Like

Also http://www.cffu.org. It’s a very good/active Sacto fly fishing club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast