Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to fly fishing

the best thing you can do to get started is read the book curtis creek manifesto. it's written more like a comic but breaks down fly fishing to where a beginner can easily grasp the tactics, methods and equipment deployed by the fly fisher. highly recommended for all beginning fly fishers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by troytubbs View Post
    I am new to all this, but I'll definitely follow the instruction to succeed in this field! Thanks for publishing the thread!
    Get a guide and go fishing. They will supply everything you need and be able to give you specific advice depending on the type of angling you want to try. I recommend AC Fly Fishing. They will teach you how to set up a basic rig, cast it, how to achieve a “drag free” drift, set the hook, and fight a fish with a fly rod. It will set you up for life and you will be a fly fishing junkie like the rest of us. Tons of great fly fishing water within a few minutes or hours of Sacramento.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to all this, but I'll definitely follow the instruction to succeed in this field! Thanks for publishing the thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ssyslo View Post
    I just bought my first fly rod. It’s wright & McGill. I got it at a yard sale cheap. It has line but how do I tell what kind it is and if it’s right for the pole?
    W&M make some descent rods. What does it say on the rod- name,line size, length of rod? To find out what line Wt you have if it's not known is to weigh the first 30' of line on a gram scale. I used to do this on the post office scale in the lobby. People look at you weird though. You can find line size info http://www.flyfisherman.com/blogs/fl...t-grain-chart/. Convert grams to grains[ 1 gram= 15.4 grains] Its OK to have a line that is a little heaver than what the pole lists. For a beginner it can help, but some lines just don't work well at all on any rod. The older wright and McGill backpack combo rod will not cast well as a fly rod overhead (like you see people false casting to get the line out) but it will work very well as a small stream rod to get out around rocks or trees. Good spinning rod, and easy to stuff in a daypack.
    You do not have to buy a 90$ line! You can get a used line to. Trade lines. Don't expect to do well starting out it's tough, and then it will be a challenge.

5. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

very interesting! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chubbswheeler View Post
    My first fly rod was also a wright and McGill from a flea market. Had it for 6 months before even trying it. Honestly the line on it is important. If it's bright colored chances are that it's floating. Probably what you want for learning. Go out and use it see if it casts and the line actually floats. It could work fine or it could cast like crap. You'll be able to tell. Make sure it doesn't have cracks in it thay allow water to soak up the core making it sink.this is a problem with used line. If it works use it.
    Someone new to casting may not be able to tell if its a bad line or they just suck at casting. Its best to learn with decent tools

8. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My first fly rod was also a wright and McGill from a flea market. Had it for 6 months before even trying it. Honestly the line on it is important. If it's bright colored chances are that it's floating. Probably what you want for learning. Go out and use it see if it casts and the line actually floats. It could work fine or it could cast like crap. You'll be able to tell. Make sure it doesn't have cracks in it thay allow water to soak up the core making it sink.this is a problem with used line. If it works use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Assume its not the right one. Go buy new line. Go RIO brand, I like the gold, perception or trout LT depending on the size of rod (if you're looking for a floating line, that is).

Fly line is probably the most important component of your rig. The right line can make a crap rod decent and the wrong line can make a great rod garbage. Its expensive, but don't go cheap. It will make all the difference.
    Last edited by TexWalker; 06-10-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought my first fly rod. It’s wright & McGill. I got it at a yard sale cheap. It has line but how do I tell what kind it is and if it’s right for the pole?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LURKER916 View Post
    I have some advice...

Don’t do it. Save your money and buy a new spinning rod reel combo. And with the rest of the money you will save buy a new boat and truck.

Most expensive damn part of fishing ever made.
    And if you really want to save money don’t start Spey casting.
    Good luck!

On the real, go into KIENES and talk to Andy. Great dude, knows the Sac area really good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    at first I was like "oh man is he serious?" then I saw the last statement. will definitely check out Andy at Kienes! thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast