Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Ocean Fishing - Need Tackle Advise

This is all very helpful - thank you. I'm going to splurge a bit and get dialed in right from the outset. Thinking I'll go with avet reels and get two types of ugly stick rods for each - long for trolling and shorter for rockfish.

Thanks again.

hh

Post Thanks / Like

ugly stik tiger rods are imo the best way to go for the budget you have the new elite series jigging rods the heavy action rods and the longer trolling rods are all very durable and long lasting and feel great. plus they would all match. The price point $60-$80 cant be beat for the ruggedness, they are meant to take a beating and fish saltwater plus will leave you with 120plus dollars for a nice saltwater reel to go on em. I invested in tiger rods and avet reels for my boat when i take friends out i trust em to hold up to everything i do... however i have my cousins and trevalas for myself

i dont have much in ways of reel advice i exclusively fish avet reels for saltwater and the cheapest ive purchased an sx reel for is $150.00 so i believe it may be out of your budget however i strongly believe in em and suggest them to everyone looking for a new saltwater reel.
    prior to Avets i fished abu garcia 6500 and 7000 series reels they got the job done and did a great job especially for salmon and halibut but i wouldn't purchase them for strictly saltwater fishing the Avets make them look silly in terms of performance.

i wouldn't hesitate to use the same avet to bottomfish lings, jig for stripers, drift for halibut, troll for salmon and baitfish for big seven gills all in the same day the reels are just that good.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the better DR rods for not a lot of money is Shimano Taloras. I've been very happy with mine. You wont like bottom fishing with it. You should plan on budgeting for gear for what your fishing for. Trolling w/DR for Salmon is one set of rods. Mooching is another set up. Rockfishing is another, jigging with a noodle tip rod sucks, its much nicer having a set up dialed for that days fishing. Reels can be more versatile between the different sets up here in N. Ca. You can spool a few reels with 50-65lb braid and run a top shot of mono of what ever wt. you want and move that reel to different rods until you fill your quiver. But I think you'll find out that having your gear and tackle matched toward your target species is the way to go,,,gregg

Post Thanks / Like

I used to ocean fish a lot. Enough that I bought my own gear.

I have a Shimano Trevala 6'6" rod, rated medium power, 75-200g.
    For the reel I have a Shimano Tekota 500.

The rod and reel were $100 each, purchased 11 years ago.

5. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    And make sure to clean your gear after using it in the salt water. I usually just take a shower with the rods and reals and then spray them down with some salt-off type cleaner. Penn makes one that is pretty cheap and easy to spray and wipe down
    Sometimes I let my wife take a shower with my rod!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

7. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And make sure to clean your gear after using it in the salt water. I usually just take a shower with the rods and reals and then spray them down with some salt-off type cleaner. Penn makes one that is pretty cheap and easy to spray and wipe down

9. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ABU level winds Made in Sweden . Used ones OK.
    Shakespeare Rods. Not all that much money. You can upgrade later.
    These will do the work no frills.Make changes it you want when you see a need. Too many people want the best outfit without knowing what works "BEST" for them.
    IMHO.
    Also salt water can be fun and deadly if you have no experience Go with someone that has.
    It ain't just a big lake!!
    Last edited by CDK; 01-29-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

11. Likes dennis l, wckid, chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with the Ugly Stik,,,, 8'6' should work on the Riggers and also for mooching, jigging.
    Your right , no one rod is perfect but thats what i would buy for a rod.

13. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First Time Ocean Fishing - Need Tackle Advise

Fired up to finally get my boat into the salt - after 2 years breaking it in / getting to know it. Putting final touches on the boat setup - now onto the gear / hoping to get your advice.

I plan to fish out of Bodega Bay and target salmon (trolling on D/Rs), rockfish, crab, halibut...and whatever else will bite. I'm looking for advice on rods and reels. Looking to get four matching setups at a cost of around $150-$200 each. Looking for value and versatility...understanding that these are different fishing applications / not one size fits all.

What would you buy to get four rods working for these applications at a budget of $600-$800?

Thanks for your advice!

15. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post