Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling speed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling speed

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post

What pound weight? Ball, stick, pancake, directional, shark, etc., style weight?
    I hook mine to a remote controlled submarine.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Hooks, the chart works the same for any size and shape ball since it is based off geometry (yep, that boring class in high school). Thinner downrigger line and heavier balls will reduce the sway back angle but not eliminate it. The faster and/or deeper you go, the more noticeable the sway angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Here is an easy chart to follow when determining depth of your downrigger ball based off your wire angle. If the angle of the downrigger wire is 40 degrees and you want to be at 50', the line counter on your downrigger would have to read 65. I keep this with an angle chart on my boat so that I am very precise with my trolling.

Add in the precision trolling app for your lures and you will really be dialed in to your depth.

What pound weight? Ball, stick, pancake, directional, shark, etc., style weight?
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Trolling speed

Quote Originally Posted by Polebrother View Post
    After reading this entire thread I may just stop trolling altogether.😎
    Naw knowledge is power, but if you don't have power the boat won't move, and it won't move without water either. Bring Out Another Thousand........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this entire thread I may just stop trolling altogether.😎

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Here is an easy chart to follow when determining depth of your downrigger ball based off your wire angle. If the angle of the downrigger wire is 40 degrees and you want to be at 50', the line counter on your downrigger would have to read 65. I keep this with an angle chart on my boat so that I am very precise with my trolling.

Add in the precision trolling app for your lures and you will really be dialed in to your depth.
    Nice chart! I'd like to use that against a fishhawk to check the accuracy. Not because I'm in doubt, but because I'm OCD that way. I'm sure this method was researched enough to come up with pretty accurate numbers. I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroutFishNAmador88 View Post
    How can the speed at the ball be different than the speed at the boat? Why is it better to meter at the weight?
    I think what Stan is trying to say is using a probe (fish hawk) to determine blowback, which determines depth at ball/lure. When you determine best lure action beside the boat. That's your trolling speed. Connect fish hawk to ball, lower to desired depth. Maintain boat speed and keep boat straight. Do not deviate. Best achieved in calm water. Bring your ball up while maintaining speed and check fish hawk, read max depth. That is the depth your lure is running. The deeper your ball combined with higher boat speed equals greater blowback. Example. I dropped my fish hawk going 3.5 mph to a depth otw of 100'. The max depth result from fish hawk was 80'. That's where my lure is running at that depth and speed, which equals 20' blowback.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. Likes TroutFishNAmador88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse moose View Post
    Ridenfish

If a lake has any water coming into it there is always a current. Even without any water coming into the lake will still have a current due the rotation of our planet
    I didn't need to get into that detail for a lure. In a lake the current is tiny except in certain situations. Many don't know the difference between water and air speed in relation to ground speed. If planes went by gps ground speed to fly they would fall out of the sky with a tailwind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroutFishNAmador88 View Post
    How can the speed at the ball be different than the speed at the boat? Why is it better to meter at the weight?
    Question #1 - They can't. What was being discussed is current, and in some circumstances a lake can have a surface current going one way, and currents deeper in the water column going another, or most often, same direction but slower. In those cases the lure's action again the water down deep may be different than beside the boat.

Question #2 - If there is a significant difference in current at depth, the weight meter gives a more accurate reading, and you can theoretically adjust your speed to keep the action of the lure working properly.

My contention is that in most western reservoirs, the differences in "lake currents" are so small (hundredths of miles per hour)they're insignificant. Downrigger speed and temp meters are cool toys if you've got a few hundred buck to spend on them. If not, watch your rod-tip and you'll be just fine.

13. Likes TroutFishNAmador88, CAL.NDN liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast