Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Boat in The Yard

YouTube is your best friend for this. You should be able to find a video of either that same motor or similar having water pump replaced. If I recall correctly, 1981-2003 (rough estimate from my old brain) and 85hp and up ran the same lower units with similar linkage. Biggest issue with those is the linkage removal, the pin is a pain in the a$$ because it sits under and behind the carbs. Extensions with swivel and a magnetic tip will be your friend. Main thing is take your time and follow the steps, itís fairly basic (beyond that darn pin).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like no one wants to touch any outboard before 1990. Boat Doctor is closed until Tuesday and I have a empty weekend so lets see if I can figure out how to change a impeller on this thing. I bought a online service manual for $30 so tomorrow is the day to read half of the procedure to drop the lower unit and wing it the rest of the way. Anyone know where I can get a good used motor just incase I completely screw the pooch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and zero leaks to speak of. Even the livewell worked flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Without looking at the boat up close I canít say for 100%, but the majority of boats are designed in way that any water into the hull will naturally flow towards the stern as either how the boat sits in the water, or during simple acceleration. Unless the hull is compartmentalized and doesnít allow for it, but I havenít come across a Lund that is. Because of this, I donít see a need for one up front, but thatís My experience. I would stay with the idea of having two pumps, but mounting both in the stern. I would put one on an automatic float switch tied directly to the battery so it will kick on and start pumping before you know you have a problem. This is also good if you plan on leaving the boat in the water overnight somewhere. The second pump I would tie into a manual switch on the dash that you can turn on for that little xtra if the occasion should ever arise. That one would serve more as a backup or assistant to the other in the event the water coming on board is fast that the first pump can handle. Also, be sure each has its own hose and through hull fitting. Iíve seen guys try and tie the lines together with a ďYĒ or ďTĒ which isnít a good idea. Being an aluminum hull, drilling for an extra fitting is simple. One last tidbit, again from my experience, run your bilge hoses and fitting out the starboard side. It looks from the picture like that may be the current setup but run the new one that way as well. The reason for this is you can see it looking back from the drivers seat and will be able to tell sooner when pumping or not. Mine is rigged on port side from factory and I hate it. If I have to use the bilge while under way I cannot see when it stops to shut it off. Only reason I havenít changed it is because when I replace the transom I will have it apart for easier access and I will be adding a second pump. I will run them both out the starboard side at that time.

That makes complete sence. Iím going with your idea. Apparently the engine isnít too happy though. When we were running today down the Napa river at 3000 rpm the controls started to sound. It was a steady horn that would sound as soon as the ignition was on. We anchored on the spot and fished for a while thinking we could let the engine cool. After 30 minutes or so we managed to turn on the ignition with no horn and fired up. She still doesnít like to idle so you have to slam it into gear. We ran at full throttle the short distance to the dock and that was that. Does it sound like it could be the water pump? It was peeing water good the whole time though.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Without looking at the boat up close I canít say for 100%, but the majority of boats are designed in way that any water into the hull will naturally flow towards the stern as either how the boat sits in the water, or during simple acceleration. Unless the hull is compartmentalized and doesnít allow for it, but I havenít come across a Lund that is. Because of this, I donít see a need for one up front, but thatís My experience. I would stay with the idea of having two pumps, but mounting both in the stern. I would put one on an automatic float switch tied directly to the battery so it will kick on and start pumping before you know you have a problem. This is also good if you plan on leaving the boat in the water overnight somewhere. The second pump I would tie into a manual switch on the dash that you can turn on for that little xtra if the occasion should ever arise. That one would serve more as a backup or assistant to the other in the event the water coming on board is fast that the first pump can handle. Also, be sure each has its own hose and through hull fitting. Iíve seen guys try and tie the lines together with a ďYĒ or ďTĒ which isnít a good idea. Being an aluminum hull, drilling for an extra fitting is simple. One last tidbit, again from my experience, run your bilge hoses and fitting out the starboard side. It looks from the picture like that may be the current setup but run the new one that way as well. The reason for this is you can see it looking back from the drivers seat and will be able to tell sooner when pumping or not. Mine is rigged on port side from factory and I hate it. If I have to use the bilge while under way I cannot see when it stops to shut it off. Only reason I havenít changed it is because when I replace the transom I will have it apart for easier access and I will be adding a second pump. I will run them both out the starboard side at that time.

7. Likes GW208, Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shes back! Everything checks out and the Evinrude fires right up. Heres a picture for you guys.
    https://instagram.com/p/BfeABuxlxun/

9. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So while the boat is in the shop Iím collecting things to add on when it returns. I have aluminum tubing to weld actual bow rails since the ones currently on there are just screwed on and only about 3 inches tall. Iím planning to do foot high welded rails when measured from the underside of the tube to the edge of the boat. Iím going to repair the 9 foot antenna that is on there since all it needs is the screw and new teeth that hold it in place. Iím picking up a low profile VHF and Iím also thinking of picking up a set of auto adjusting trimtabs but Iím not sure how much of a benefit I will see compared to simple fins on the outboard. Iím also getting new bilge pumps. I want one in the front and one in the back but Iím not a hundred percent on how to go about it. I was thinking of putting a 600 gph up front that sends water aft to a 1700 gph that pumps out. However, if the rear pump were to crap out it would be all over so now I want to see about tying the bow pump into the livewell drain. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

New fuel lines and Grease where I could and the Evinrude fires up right away. It doesnít like to idle for long before stalling out so I have to give it short bursts of choke every minute or so. Seems like a dirty carb to me. Its off to The Boat Doctor for a once over and to fix the tilt system. The pistons donít seem too happy and I have no idea how to work on that. The last tilt system I messed with spewed fluid all over me and the floor and I canít have that right now with my 2 year old niece running around here. Iím trying to document the stuff Iím doing with pics for you guys but itís not possible when a two-year-old wants to help you work on a boat hah.

12. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the more that I mess with the OMC controls the more I want to re-power with a newer ETec. I just love the torque and simplicity of direct injected 2 stroke technology. The choke on this 88 Evinrude is so numb I feel like its an easy task to flood the carb if your in a hurry due to the inch of play before the choke startes to move. I spent all day today calling between Rockland to San Mateo looking for a used ETec 115 with no luck so Iím going to fix up this engine I have now to use during this season. Then hopefully I can find a used ETec and sell these old controls and engine. I donít really want to buy a brand new 115 horse, and you know I would go for the High-output series since I am planning to do a full enclosure and I feel like the 90 hp would struggle to keep the boat on pad if we were going into a strong head wind fully loaded. An extra 30 hp should help a lot in a situation like that.
    Iím no doubt getting ahead of myself though. The maiden voyage is going to be next week to Martinez with a full 6 person crew. Iím going to make sure the pumps work and hope no water comes in during the trip. So far everything is going smoothly so I feel like the pump will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason TT wonít let me upload pictures. I will just have to link them for you guys from my social media

15. Dislikes brokea--boater disliked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast