Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Boat in The Yard

Finally got the wiring down. Lowrance green to West Marine blue, then both yellows. This will apply to everyone trying to make a Lowrance talk to a West Marine vhf model 585. Donít forget to turn on NMEA in the Lowrance settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve been messing with Lowrance and West Marine wiring for a week now. I have TX- to in- and RX- to out- connected but no gps indication on the vhf. Has someone here successfully made a Lowrance HDS or Hook talk to a West Marine vhf 585 and willing to help?

Post Thanks / Like

Got its first decal
    https://instagram.com/p/BhCrfBwFkwk/

4. Likes EG1120, nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. A lot has happened since the sniffer moved to a new server and TT wonít let me log in.
    I ended up buying a complete thermostat kit and changing them myself. My dad and I saw a video on youtube on cutting an access hole in the front of the outboard to get to the thermostat housing bolts and it worked perfectly.
    While the gaskot sealant was curing we took thevtime to do a VRO delete. Its back to mixing for us. The next day we ran from Cuttings Wharf to the sturgeon triangle and back with some trolling in between and no alarms went off. The issue that did come up is a shake followed by a back fire here and there when turning around 2000 rpm. Othere than that that run was flawless.
    This passed weekend we finally fished the San Pablo Bay. Weíve been talking about doing that for ten plus years and its finally been checked off. We had one issue that left us dead in the water in the Loch Lomond channel. When we revved up to get on pad the engin bogged down and died. We kept trying to fire up but it would only cough out smoke. After screwing with it for about 15 minutes we dropped the bow mounted TM and headed back in. As my dad was dancing up front on the foot controls I tried to get the old Evinrude to come back to life. I opened the neutral throttle leaver all the way, primed the fuel bolb, and turned the key. It cpughed up a huge puff of smoke and fired up. As soon as I put it in forward and gave it throttle itíd die. After three attempts with the same result I let it shutter and idle in forward with no throttle. Five minutes later and it got its spirits back in order. We pulled up the bow mount and ran at 40 mph all the way to the pump house with no troubles at all. The fish were visous! Iíll save that for a report though.
    As of now everything is working perfectly including livewell and bilge pumps.

Post Thanks / Like

I know i need to be holding on to my money for the engine but the dealss here seem pretty good. I canít decide between the 7 inch Lowrance
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowra...arts--18799460
    Or the Garmin 74sv
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...arts--17984535
    Anybody own either of these? I like the Lowrance but the transducer is 9 inches long and it scares the hell out of me just thinking of how I could smash it into something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    I always order and replace the entire pump assembly when I do it. It doesnít cost that much more, youíre already going to have it torn apart, might as well do it right. I know many who only replace the impeller with no issues.

When you say it wonít idle for long, how long is long? And once given a little throttle, are there any noticeable issues, such as sputtering or rough running like a miss fire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It wonít idle for more than a minute at most. Once you rev it its fine but its just not happy with out any throttle. No puttering or missfire from what I can tell once underway.
    Last time we were out it would die when going to shift into gear but I think thats related to the over heating issue as other engines Iíve ran would do the same when hot.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always order and replace the entire pump assembly when I do it. It doesnít cost that much more, youíre already going to have it torn apart, might as well do it right. I know many who only replace the impeller with no issues.

When you say it wonít idle for long, how long is long? And once given a little throttle, are there any noticeable issues, such as sputtering or rough running like a miss fire?

Post Thanks / Like

While cleaning up before the rain we realized that we left out the exhaust housing and an o-ring that goes under the impeller. We dropped the lower unit, tore down the water pump, and had everything back on the engine in 30 minutes. Pretty successful considering the last time took over an hour.
    We also got to pull up a section of the floor up and got a look at the fuel tank. A nice big 20 gallon aluminum tank right down the center of the boat that seems clean to me. The ownly issue I have is the filler is in the splashwell. Im tempted to see about relocating it since I donít like the idea of it constantly being hit by salt.

Post Thanks / Like

So the job is done! The longest part was figuring out how to get the shifting linkage to let go. We were looking for a screw that didnít exist. All you do is pull the pin while in reverse, then shift into neutral and pull the shift rod towards the the port side of the boat. Took about 30 minutes to figure that out but once that was done it was smooth going from there. Since the previous owner never serviced the water pump in the 13 years that he owned it I bought an entire rebuild kit and it really saved me. The impeller was a bit cooked on the driveshaft and it also had some sort of glue behind it. In prying it off with a bar we really bent the lower plate. Thankfully the kit came with a new one and we rebuilt the whole thing in about 5 minutes. Huge improvement in the amount of water being pumped out now but the motor still does not like to idle for long with out some throttle. Iím going to try running it hard with some additive in the fuel. Basicly planning to try everything to avoid removing the carbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    YouTube is your best friend for this. You should be able to find a video of either that same motor or similar having water pump replaced. If I recall correctly, 1981-2003 (rough estimate from my old brain) and 85hp and up ran the same lower units with similar linkage. Biggest issue with those is the linkage removal, the pin is a pain in the a$$ because it sits under and behind the carbs. Extensions with swivel and a magnetic tip will be your friend. Main thing is take your time and follow the steps, itís fairly basic (beyond that darn pin).

I started searching for videos this morning. So far it seems like there are small variations but most of them the same. Just waiting for the sun to get over the boat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast