Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling speed help

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice! Going Rio Vista Saturday and plan on trolling the DWC for a while then soaking some bait around Liberty. Plan is to stay in 8' or so with shallow running sticks then running some rattle traps on the planner board in 3 to 5. Taking my wife and daughter.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all in the tip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

4. Likes 1969glasspar liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even with a paddle wheel you’re only getting speed at the top. Trolling the rivers with current is one of the most difficult things to figure out, but the simplest answer is exactly what 1969glasspar said....lure action. That’s your best starting point and then adjust from there. Rarely do I watch my speed after initially getting Lines out. I watch my rod tips and their action and adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes CAL.NDN, reeltor, LineStretcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1969glasspar View Post
    The river current is different at seperate sections of the river so that wouldnt be very accurate. A paddle wheel sensor is the best way. But, i dont worry too much about speed as long as the lures that im trolling are working properly. I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I'm going to see if the make a paddle wheel fo my Helix. 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_fun73 View Post
    I want to troll the rivers with current. I only have GPS speed. How can you figure the river current speed? Is it as simple as drifting for a few minutes and just deduct that reading from your upstream trolling gps reading? A ndd that number for the down stream troll? Thank you.
    The river current is different at seperate sections of the river so that wouldnt be very accurate. A paddle wheel sensor is the best way. But, i dont worry too much about speed as long as the lures that im trolling are working properly. I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Guns gave America freedom. Take away our guns and youv'e taken away our freedom. America - guns=Communist country. I can't speak for everyone else but if you take my guns from me It will be after my heart has stopped beating.

9. Likes redneckpunk, CAL.NDN, reeltor, Jaare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling speed help

I want to troll the rivers with current. I only have GPS speed. How can you figure the river current speed? Is it as simple as drifting for a few minutes and just deduct that reading from your upstream trolling gps reading? A ndd that number for the down stream troll? Thank you.