Thread: lead ban

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lead ban

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoJack View Post
    Mercury forms an amalgam with gold as well as other metals. You can find gold nuggets with mercury 'attached'.

Mercury was mixed with gold containing ore, forming the amalgam. This was then heated, vaporizing the mercury to obtain the gold. A very dangerous process in that anyone nearby might inhale the mercury vapor.

I have never dredged for gold but know people that have. Dredging did collect and remove mercury from stream beds.

Dredging also removed silt and other debris exposing the underlying gravel. Trout and salmon need a gravel bed to successfully spawn.

I never quite understood the ban on lead shot and the bans on lead sinkers. One argument was that ducks and other critters might ingest the lead.
    I don't understand how this would cause harm; would not the lead just pass through the gut and eventually been eliminated?

For that matter, dredging also collected and removed lead from streams.
    While I dont know if the lead ban is the best way to deal with this, eating lead is actually a fairly dangerous problem. California is definitely a bit crazy on the lead warnings on everything, but lead based paint was a pretty serious cause of a lot of problems for children, mainly because kids were eating paint chips with lead in it (I cant post links, but the Mayo Clinic has a good article on this). While most of the lead might pass through, a fair amount does actually get absorbed into the body. Over time, and over many exposures, this can really build up and lead to problems in a bunch of different parts of the body.

I think one of the concerns with birds is that they naturally eat rocks to put into their crop to help grind things up (since they dont have teeth), so they often pick up small objects like lead weights and swallow them. Some studies have indicated that this leads to problems with bird health, which are hard to pick up, since they often just look a bit sick, and its not immediately obvious whether they are suffering from lead poisoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury forms an amalgam with gold as well as other metals. You can find gold nuggets with mercury 'attached'.

Mercury was mixed with gold containing ore, forming the amalgam. This was then heated, vaporizing the mercury to obtain the gold. A very dangerous process in that anyone nearby might inhale the mercury vapor.

I have never dredged for gold but know people that have. Dredging did collect and remove mercury from stream beds.

Dredging also removed silt and other debris exposing the underlying gravel. Trout and salmon need a gravel bed to successfully spawn.

I never quite understood the ban on lead shot and the bans on lead sinkers. One argument was that ducks and other critters might ingest the lead.
    I don't understand how this would cause harm; would not the lead just pass through the gut and eventually been eliminated?

For that matter, dredging also collected and removed lead from streams.

Quote Originally Posted by auman View Post
    As a miner and a fisherman there was 190 million pounds of mercury produced from @ 240 mines in california . Most stayed in the rivers .Have seen pools of it on the bottom of the rivers .The ecos wackos stopped us from removing it for free. At 600.00 for about 1/2 gallon I know NO miner who doesn't save it ...It will never go away ...it has to be removed by suction gear ...Guess if we ignore it will go away.. Hasn't in 150 years ...
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

Post Thanks / Like

I signed the petition and added my comments. I'll look at savefishing.com. If they fight for us, maybe I'll donate a little to them.

4. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ecos also don't talk about the 30,500 barrels of radioactive material dumped between the Golden Gate and the fallons islands .This is public info the BLM puts out .Along with the radioactive ships the navy sunk at the fallons used in tests.The guy on the badge would shoot the barrels if didn't sink so wouldn't float back into the bay .Check out the government publications on the issue.Scary reading . Where is the gov. Brown On that issue.One can get info sent to there computer free by signing to the BLM website or the paper publications ..Like mercury if we leave it alone it will just go away .

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=auman;1145066]As a miner and a fisherman there was 190 million pounds of mercury produced from @ 240 mines in california . Most stayed in the rivers .Have seen pools of it on the bottom of the rivers .The ecos wackos stopped us from removing it for free. At 600.00 for about 1/2 gallon I know NO miner who doesn't save it ...It will never go away ...it has to be removed by suction gear ...Guess if we ignore it will go away.. Hasn't in 150 years ...[/QUOTE

So you guys were able to resell the reclaimed Mercury? I knew suction dredgingis claimed to help remove but I never knew you could resell. Honestly wondered what the hell you all did with it.

Post Thanks / Like

As a miner and a fisherman there was 190 million pounds of mercury produced from @ 240 mines in california . Most stayed in the rivers .Have seen pools of it on the bottom of the rivers .The ecos wackos stopped us from removing it for free. At 600.00 for about 1/2 gallon I know NO miner who doesn't save it ...It will never go away ...it has to be removed by suction gear ...Guess if we ignore it will go away.. Hasn't in 150 years ...

8. Likes reeltor, Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    if anything BB shots work almost work better than lead! in a slinky type weight system
    make sure to sign the petition to keep that bill from passing.
    http://www.sacbee.com/article202611764.html

http://www.savefishing.com/
    Already contacted my reps Bigelow and Gaines. Really easy these days to contact our reps. How about we worry about the real heavy metal in our waterways. Mercury is a genuine problem in many lakes and streams, i've never seen any science supporting lead being a problem.

10. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lead ban

if anything BB shots work almost work better than lead! in a slinky type weight system
    make sure to sign the petition to keep that bill from passing.
    http://www.sacbee.com/article202611764.html

http://www.savefishing.com/

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.