Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fish Finder Suggestions

I've used them all and Garmin has me now. With the Panoptix technology on there cheaper models it can do it all. The mapping is starting to get really good and imaging is great. If you want to talk more about it just shoot me a message. Oh and they do have portable setups too.

Wess

Post Thanks / Like

I was a Lowrance user for decades and switched to a Humminbird last year. The decision to change was based on choosing what I felt was the best bang for my buck. I now have a Helix 9 Chirp and think it was very easy to learn the basic menu items which is all I really use.

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

3. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the striker 4 portable unit. I love it with a hard mount for the transducer. The suction cup mount just doesnít work well. Havenít used it in one sea but on lakes and rivers itís great.

5. Likes YoungAsianFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Thatís a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge question. LOL! One thing I have found, generally once someone has one brand they tend to stay with that brand never experiencing the others. I always suggest going to a couple places that have different units on display and play with them a bit. Often times you will find one seems more user friendly than another. Also, stand back away from them, about the same distance you may be while on the water fishing, and look at the clarity and how well different features are visible. And once you get that figured out, buybthe next screen size up, because youíll always want bigger. I have a 7in on the dash of my 19ft and while I can see it if Iím standing or sitting at the stern a 9in screen would have been better.
    That is very true comparison you made haha. I guess I will have to get to a retailer and see how user friendly each model is and decide from there. 👍🏻

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YoungAsianFisher View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Between the 3 brands Hummingbird, Lowrance, and Garmin which do you prefer?
    Thatís a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge question. LOL! One thing I have found, generally once someone has one brand they tend to stay with that brand never experiencing the others. I always suggest going to a couple places that have different units on display and play with them a bit. Often times you will find one seems more user friendly than another. Also, stand back away from them, about the same distance you may be while on the water fishing, and look at the clarity and how well different features are visible. And once you get that figured out, buybthe next screen size up, because youíll always want bigger. I have a 7in on the dash of my 19ft and while I can see it if Iím standing or sitting at the stern a 9in screen would have been better.

8. Likes CAL.NDN, Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This may or may not work for you. Tie a line to it and toss it overboard. It uses your phone as a head unit and connects via wifi. I just bought one for my kayak but haven't used it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Deeper-Smart-...U?ref=ast_p_ep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys! Between the 3 brands Hummingbird, Lowrance, and Garmin which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

This shows a couple of units but specifically the portable transducer bracket.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?c...&CQ_zstype=REG

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Humminbird fishing buddy 140c with side scan. It has an integrated transducer that sticks down into the water when clamped onto the transom or gunnel of small boats. It has a 4 inch color screen. I even used it on my 29 foot Cruiser for a short time when my other fish finder failed. I've had it in both the delta and in lakes up to 150 ft deep and it worked pretty well. Such a great little unit that I frequently mount on the transom of my dinghy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

13. Likes YoungAsianFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave, will those portable units be good enough for the ocean? I know they're just ok in some lakes and the Delta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast