aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Took the 06 and the 300 WSM to the range and dialed them in at 100 yards. Both shot sub MOA on the sled and I shot MOA off hand. Super happy with both rifles. Put in for Nevada Tags for Muleys and Antelope. Antelope in August, Muleys in Oct/Nov.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    You should not have a major issue finding factory loads for that gun that you are happy with. You don't have to deal with shooting non toxic loads in Nevada. I found 4-5 factory loads that would shoot great groups before I changed to non toxic rounds. Right now with the copper alloy projectiles the Federal Trophy Copper loads in my gun are the best. Hornady GMX are OK but most of the others are not good in my Model 70 Featherweight. That is with the 7 mag. The 30-06 is still a work in progress but from what I read the newer guns are doing better than the pre- 64 guns with copper. The pre 64 30-06 shot a number of premium rounds well but nothing in lead free yet.
    Wind was blowing out at the range. I set my targets up and then had to go chase them across the desert.
    The current Model 70 was brought back to pre-64 standards by Browning and FN Herstal. Olin still has a hand in it but I don't think it's much more than owning the Winchester trademark. The barrels and action are made in Portugal at one of FN's locations and they're still hammer forged and not button rifled. FN's quality control is beyond impeccable so that may be why the improvements are being reported. The triggers are drop in style now and made by Timney and they are nice and crisp MOA triggers. Much better than the old Mauser triggers in the pre-64's. Pre-64 values have dropped too but they still demand at least 1200.00 without optics. That said, I'm expecting it to shoot the 168 grain Hornady SuperPerformance the best but I have a box of 168 grain Nosler Partitions to try also. I'll sight it in with WInchester Super X 150gr so I don't kill my shoulder.

I wish I could have got it sighted in today but with this wind it would be pure luck to get a decent group at 100 yards.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 03-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You should not have a major issue finding factory loads for that gun that you are happy with. You don't have to deal with shooting non toxic loads in Nevada. I found 4-5 factory loads that would shoot great groups before I changed to non toxic rounds. Right now with the copper alloy projectiles the Federal Trophy Copper loads in my gun are the best. Hornady GMX are OK but most of the others are not good in my Model 70 Featherweight. That is with the 7 mag. The 30-06 is still a work in progress but from what I read the newer guns are doing better than the pre- 64 guns with copper. The pre 64 30-06 shot a number of premium rounds well but nothing in lead free yet.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

So I looked in my safe and took a count... 5 AR-15's and 1 AR-10. Holy Carp this AR stuff is addicting. All of them are a little different and purpose built which is what's really the most fun. So I took stock of my senses and realized I needed to do a reset.

Yesterday I went to Cabela's and got my Winchester Model 70 30-06 Featherweight and put a Leupold VX 5HD Boon and Crocket 3-15x44 scope on it. The scope and the rifle cost exactly the same amount which keeps me within my sensible range. Last night I mounted the scope and this morning I bore sighted it. Tomorrow it'll get sighted in at 100 yards. All rifles being somewhat different I bought a variety of ammunition so I can figure out what the rifle likes the best.

So even though I love my Evil Black Rifles, the Winchester wins the beauty contest. Oh and the best part, it's never been included in any type of ban.

Model703006.jpg
    Hopefully the next time you see this rifle it will be leaning on a nice 6 point Muley rack.