Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on Salmon Season 2017

Since I'm not an ALL Knowing elected official. Why would I suggest that the hatchery spawn the fish over a longer period instead of just a couple of weeks. This should not be like a corporation trying to get the most product out using the least amount of labor hours. I was under the impression that if you spread out the spawning cycle there will be a better chance that fluctuations in environment would make it less likely to wipe out a run of the fish. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Angling restrictions and closures aren't the answer. Hatchery practices and water management need to be reevaluated 10 years ago. Anglers need to get together in this and not get divisive and point fingers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Dived and conquer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

3. Likes QueenAnnesRevenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Salmon Season 2017

I think the issue stems from the fact that you have coleman hatchery dumping all of their steelhead and salmon up in the drought stricken upper Sac where they have 1000 ways to die or get lost in the various rivers and sloughs on their downstream journeys as opposed to barging them and dealing with the straying. Straying salmon are better than no salmon at all.

For anyone interested in hatchery mismanagement, just follow Coleman fish hatchery on Facebook. The Mokelumne and the CalBar pages are prime examples of a proactive hatchery system, even if those fish up at the moke hatchery weren't all moke fish, I think it's admirable that they're actually making proactive changes to the way they run their hatchery and get their fish to sea. Coleman really seems like they simply throw a dart on the calendar and decide a date on when and where to dump their fish, then send them on a death journey.

I'd like to see better hatchery practices and the upper river hatcheries not just expect their smolts to get to sea when they have 1000 things working against them. Can't fish for salmon if they never make it to sea and bake to death before they even are hatched.
    Last edited by dsa2780; 03-08-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

2008 and 2009 there were full closures on the rivers. 2010, the Sac was open for the month of September only and very few fish were caught due to the lack of fish and anglers interest. 2011 the Sac had a full season while the Mokelumne was still closed (lots of fines for those launching at New Hope, running to Sac, catching fish and then running back to a no retention river). 2012 was once again a full season for all rivers.

Did shutting down the rivers change or improve the salmon populations? According to my fish trap data going back to the 90's, No. Populations fluctuate and one river might have a fantastic year while another might be in the dumps. 2017 is a good example: Sac had very few fish while the Moke had a record season.

I think we as fishermen should focus on getting fish from the hatcheries/natural spawn, out to the ocean because without fish in the ocean, nothing swims up the river in 2-4 years. Fix the initial issue and we will not have closures. Again, my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

We all know that's the real problem but the powers that be don't think so...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

7. Likes Kaban12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Angling restrictions and closures aren't the answer. Hatchery practices and water management need to be reevaluated 10 years ago. Anglers need to get together in this and not get divisive and point fingers

This is the real answer. Focusing on angling related restrictions is a good way to divert attention from the real issues:

- hatchery management (whose priorities determine decisions and to what end?)
    - water management (angling and species survival fall way short of big Ag and municipal appetites)
    - the lip service that California pays to all environmental issues. The State passes dozens of onerous laws each year on air, water, energy, habitat, ozone, global warming, etc and then runs roughshod on all of them with their public works projects that never seem to make any sense like the tunnels and high speed rail both of which are just pork for the Feinsteins of the world.

No, my friends, just like the banning of plastic shopping bags and drinking straws, the elected liberal elite needs someone to demonize while on their soapbox. Anglers, fresh and salt, are the NRA to your elected rulers. If there was ever a time to organize anglers into an effective voting block, this is it. Absent that, we can expect the numbers to continue to drop and the rod and reel to be demonized like the AR15.

9. Likes SteelyMan, CAL.NDN, Jaare liked this post
    Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Likes CAL.NDN, monkey916, WhopperStopper liked this post
    Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
    Shorten the ocean season to September 30th. Limit all areas to 1 fish per day and 10 per season, with report card.
    Angler participation in the ocean after Oct 1st is extremely small, most people didn't harvest 10 SALMON last year so that won't help. Fruitless

13. Likes WhopperStopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Closing it down for the rivers is not the answer in my opinion, but if they do decide to close it for any amount of time, they should absolutely leave it open to C&R. The numbers are not so depressed that they can’t support the less than 5% mortality rate of a C&R fishery.

I like the idea of a seasonal limit and report card.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Shorten the ocean season to September 30th. Limit all areas to 1 fish per day and 10 per season, with report card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast