aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4/14 Crab and Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by Kimochou View Post
    Seon,

Itís a 22í and way roomier than the 16í it replaced... Youíre welcome to join us if youíre out this way. We would love to pick up pointers from you. Your crab posts early in the season were part of the motivation for the new boat.

We did hit Shasta for two days on the way back from Portland so this was our maiden saltwater voyage.

BTW, you might recognize lazybob? He lives your way and picked up rod holders from you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice maiden salt cruise.. Only got on the water one day during the Fest so you only missed meeting the gang and a great dinner. Next fest is the second weekend in October so mark your calendar. If you decide to come up my way before that let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Seems like a great day on a maiden voyage.

What size is your new boat? Looks very roomy.
    Seon,

Itís a 22í and way roomier than the 16í it replaced... Youíre welcome to join us if youíre out this way. We would love to pick up pointers from you. Your crab posts early in the season were part of the motivation for the new boat.

We did hit Shasta for two days on the way back from Portland so this was our maiden saltwater voyage.

BTW, you might recognize lazybob? He lives your way and picked up rod holders from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a great day on a maiden voyage.

What size is your new boat? Looks very roomy.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have thoughts or advice on the bait and/or spot? Any crabbing pointers is always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokea--boater View Post
    Good day right there, plan B helps a little. Thanks for posting. I had to miss Pmid also, very disappointed missing it, our plan B is heading north for a few days on a Trout lake this week,,,gregg
    Have fun on your lake trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a pretty good day to me.I have never been to Pyramid and I understand the fest thing but I'll take a great day on the Bay/Ocean over any lake anytime but....... I do have salt water running through my veins ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Good day right there, plan B helps a little. Thanks for posting. I had to miss Pmid also, very disappointed missing it, our plan B is heading north for a few days on a Trout lake this week,,,gregg

Post Thanks / Like

4/14 Crab and Halibut

Still disappointed from not getting to Pyramid for the fest, I was determined to get out one day this weekend and Saturday was the day. My friend visiting his son in Vancouver brought back some Scopalamine patches so my wife was game for heading out the gate. Full disclosure, we didnít own a boat big enough to test those waters until very recently so this was our first time crabbing and we had no idea where to go. Iíve seen people catch Dungies casting snares at Baker Beach so we decided to try the waters offshore there.

We launched at 7am at Loch Lomond with lazybob joining us, getting the last parking spot in the main lot so off to a good start. No problems getting out there, pretty rough outside but the new boat handled it well and my wife didnít get seasick! I was getting a little green but thatís what I get for staring at the raymarine and my iPad...lol. We dropped 5 pots in 40 to 45 feet baited with salmon carcass from the last two years in the bait cages and some herring in bait canisters from a year ago. Would fresh or other bait have been better?

We ran to JPís for a scoop of anchovies to drift for Halibut while the pots soak. So nice to get a tank full instead of paying per anchovy..... We drifted the SF shoreline for the scenery down to AT&T park for no bites. It was a beautiful day though and we enjoyed the views of the skyline.

We debated running across to ARW but was so excited about our maiden crab trip that we checked pots instead. 3 hour soak, first pot was a blank. At this point, we lowered our hopes to 2 crab. I canít eat crab so one for my wife and one for lazybob... second pot, two keepers! 3rd pot, 2 keepers and a couple of big females! My wife was pulling the pots now she was so excited and doing a great job I might add. Shorts and another female on the 4th pot and one more keeper on the last made for a pretty successful newbie attempt in our book. We decided not to drop again and decided to try Paradise.

The tides/current wasnít cooperating for a good drift with just a single bat ray for Betty so we slow trolled instead. 4oz in 15í of water at 1.2-1.6mph and it wasnít long before I picked up a 22.5Ē. Betty caught a short then lazybob picked up a carbon copy 22.5Ē to wrap up the day. Back home with the fish filleted and boat washed by 6pm. Still regret missing Pyramid Fest but a pretty awesome day.