Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to go about registration.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    AAA probably wonít touch it. Your best bet is to go into DMV with the hull number off the boat, the VIN number from the trailer and the license plate number from the trailer and check the status in their computer before you do anything. If youíre lucky, it will all be out of their system.

Next step is to talk to a DMV rep and explain that your grandfather has had a boat and trailer for 10+ years thatís been sitting on his property that he hasnít used and hasnít registered and is no longer in the system and he wants to gift it to you. Let them give you the forms you need to fill out and have your grandfather fill out and sign. There will be several, including statements of facts explaining the boat and trailer has been in his possession and hasnít been used or registered all these years. Usually they will give you the forms and highlight all areas requiring information.

If the previous owners info is still on computer, then it becomes an issue and required a lien sale or contacting them to have ownership signed over to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not so sure about that. When I had my last boat I didn't have the correct paper work, they were able to track everything down get all the paper work sorted out got a title and registration a few weeks later... May not work all the time but its at least worth a shot, certainly not saying its a guarantee...

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cal1319 View Post
    Just go to AAA and have them sort it out for you...
    AAA probably wonít touch it. Your best bet is to go into DMV with the hull number off the boat, the VIN number from the trailer and the license plate number from the trailer and check the status in their computer before you do anything. If youíre lucky, it will all be out of their system.

Next step is to talk to a DMV rep and explain that your grandfather has had a boat and trailer for 10+ years thatís been sitting on his property that he hasnít used and hasnít registered and is no longer in the system and he wants to gift it to you. Let them give you the forms you need to fill out and have your grandfather fill out and sign. There will be several, including statements of facts explaining the boat and trailer has been in his possession and hasnít been used or registered all these years. Usually they will give you the forms and highlight all areas requiring information.

If the previous owners info is still on computer, then it becomes an issue and required a lien sale or contacting them to have ownership signed over to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to AAA and have them sort it out for you...

Post Thanks / Like

It is probably out of DMV and if so you may luck out with your grandfather gifting it to you. If not you may have to lien it order to obtain a lien title. Most tow services have the number of a Lien Man to do the paperwork which is abut 40 bucks and takes about a month. Lets the hope the first is what DMV will say.

Post Thanks / Like

Call DMV and tell them the situation

Post Thanks / Like

How to go about registration.

Hey all, my grand father gave me a boat that a friend of his left on his property several years ago(10+). He tried to get ahold of him but no answer and believes he may have passed.

I have no paperwork what so ever on boat and trailer and can hardly make out the CF number on the boat itself. My question is how can I register this boat/trailer? Would it have to be as abandoned? It is a 14ft aluminium boat.