Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lowrance or Hummingbird ? Which one should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexallen View Post
    I currently have one Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fishfinder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks, everyone for all your help useful. I have done a little search on a few sites and have some comparisons, I decided to go with an HDS Gen2, it very similar to just about any new Lowrance unit and that will help me get the most out of it.
    Some sources I have consulted, there are quite a few posts comparing the brands, hope to help people with the same problem with me:
    https://youtu.be/7o--MfUqfpE
    https://fishfinderbrand.com
    Not to hijack your post, but u may want to check out the Garmin panoptix livescope. The thing looks amazing, just won the 2018 Icast best in show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboy92 View Post
    I'd go With lowrance
    I would go with a Lowrance, very reliable and easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    You really don't need another unit, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RUQwD7dZ5xg
    While this approach is handy, it's a far cry from a second unit and the ability to see the screen in direct sunlight.
    This works great if you are under a Bimini or the likes.

Edd
    Pro Staff - MACK'S-SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents

4. Likes FeatherRiverSavage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go With lowrance

Post Thanks / Like

Both Lowrance and Humminbird have good and bad service reps, and the chances of getting a bad unit are equal with both brands. Customer service really depends on your luck. I won’t be able to tell you which brand is better, but if you only have a chosen, you should buy Lowrance.
    All You Need to Know about Masterbuilt Electric Smokers: Buying Guide, Review, and Top Products on BBQ Queens

Post Thanks / Like

You already have a Lowrance, so are the menu's easy for you to navigate and do you like it? If yes, stay with Lowrance. Do you want to share data? If yes, stay with Lowrance.

As for size, whichever unit you primarily use should have the biggest screen. Your 7" screen will work well but depending on your age (aging eyes), vision, and how far away the unit will be, a 9" or 12" could be a better option for a second unit. All depends on how you plan to use it though.

8. Likes Alexallen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone, for all your helpful replies.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alexallen View Post
    I currently have one Lowrance HDS7 Gen3 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fishfinder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    You really don't need another unit, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RUQwD7dZ5xg

11. Likes Alexallen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are definite and specific advantages to keeping all electronics on one boat to a single manufacturer.
    One advantage being the ability to share/network data from one source to another, so if your style of boating/fishing would benefit from sharing....say a single transducer between two units, a single brand is better.

Map cards are also not shareable between brands, and even between same brand units with some mans..

Be watchful of which unit you buy as some units ( low-end within the same brand) will not network via Ethernet, which IS the network that carries large data streams.

Edd
    Pro Staff - MACK'S-SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents

13. Likes Alexallen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance or Hummingbird ? Which one should I buy?

I currently have one Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fishfinder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks, everyone for all your help useful. I have done a little search on a few sites and have some comparisons, I decided to go with an HDS Gen2, it very similar to just about any new Lowrance unit and that will help me get the most out of it.
    Some sources I have consulted, there are quite a few posts comparing the brands, hope to help people with the same problem with me:
    https://youtu.be/7o--MfUqfpE
    https://fishfinderbrand.com
    Last edited by Alexallen; 05-12-2018 at 01:05 AM.