Thread: A-rig trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A-rig trolling

Thanks for the tip, guys, Ill let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

You might check out the Angler West channel. There are a number of videos including different species. They call the Alabama rig the umbrella rig.

There are also many there videos specific to stripers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1l...UWIzJdelqXKAvw

Quote Originally Posted by bnjrmyn View Post
    Anyone out there have much luck trolling Alabama rigs?
    Im headed out this next Saturday, weather/wind-permitting, to the Antioch bridge area and plan to troll some of the shoals to the east and west of it.
    Wondering if the weight of the 3 swimbait heads is enough to keep it down? (Im thinking its a shallow troll and will probably put a rattletrap on my other rod) Or do I need additional lead?
    Maybe 3-3.5 mph with the current and 2-2.5 against it? These were my thoughts but I am a bit of a googan. Any additional advice is more than welcome. Cheers.
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert at trolling, but I've had good success with A-rigs. I experiment with different weight heads against speed vs current vs tide, setback distance, and depth until I think im close to the bottom. My process is to choose constants and play with one variable. For instance, I will setback 100ft, troll in 10-12ft deep, going 2.5mph gps going upstream on incoming tide. You will know those things are constant, then you can play with how much weight will get you near the bottom under those circumstances. I go heavier and heavier until im dragging bottom and then lighten up little by little until it doesn't drag. You can also experiment with different size/number of blades in your a-rig and size/number of swimbaits to get what u desire. It all sounds kinda complicated, but generally I just let it out until it starts dragging and then adjust accordingly so it just off the bottom.

4. Likes monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A-rig trolling

Anyone out there have much luck trolling Alabama rigs?
    Im headed out this next Saturday, weather/wind-permitting, to the Antioch bridge area and plan to troll some of the shoals to the east and west of it.
    Wondering if the weight of the 3 swimbait heads is enough to keep it down? (Im thinking its a shallow troll and will probably put a rattletrap on my other rod) Or do I need additional lead?
    Maybe 3-3.5 mph with the current and 2-2.5 against it? These were my thoughts but I am a bit of a googan. Any additional advice is more than welcome. Cheers.