Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5/1 & 5/2 below Verona

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    What they said and I'll go one better, "Circle Hooks". Bait fishing for striper is the exact type of application circle hooks were made for. The only bites I feel I've missed using circle hooks are the little pecks from 10" fish that you aren't going to hook anyway. For those who haven't used them, they look ridiculous, but work great. Hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth 95% of the time. Only tricks to using them are don't clog up the gap of the hook with bait, and don't set the hook. Just let them take the bait and once it's moving, slowly reel down. The added bonus is you'll very rarely lose a fish once it's hooked.
    Totally agree on this. I make up stretchy gauze balls full of whatever bait I'm using and sew the end closed with the circle hook. The big o'l ball of bait hangs below the hook so they have to take it into the mouth to get the hook. I don't tend to catch smaller fish and the keepers don't usually get away.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Yep
    Its definitely on. Bankers and boaters
    Apparently shad keep bankers hours, since both days shad fishermen didnt show up until 0930

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    First try for shad this year and yeah, definitely banker hours lol. Got on the water at about 4:30 and it was red hot for a bit then tapered off when traditionally the bite should pick up during dusk.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skypig View Post
    Were any of the boats catching shad. Last year I did not catch a single shad there from the boat, and saw very few others even trying there last year. The year before it was just the opposite.
    Yep
    Its definitely on. Bankers and boaters
    Apparently shad keep bankers hours, since both days shad fishermen didnt show up until 0930

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperStopper View Post
    QAR..on your note about bellied up babies floating down the river...

A push/pull dehooker is a great tool for shaking off undersized fish. In most instances you don't even have to handle the fish. If you don't want to be bothered with rebaiting seemingly every 30 seconds when shakers are in or swing and miss hooksets on machine gun nibble bites, throw on a nice big hunka chunka bait and wait for BALANCER DOWN!

What they said and I'll go one better, "Circle Hooks". Bait fishing for striper is the exact type of application circle hooks were made for. The only bites I feel I've missed using circle hooks are the little pecks from 10" fish that you aren't going to hook anyway. For those who haven't used them, they look ridiculous, but work great. Hooks the fish in the corner of the mouth 95% of the time. Only tricks to using them are don't clog up the gap of the hook with bait, and don't set the hook. Just let them take the bait and once it's moving, slowly reel down. The added bonus is you'll very rarely lose a fish once it's hooked.

5. Likes WhopperStopper, kickinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx. I think I'll try it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skypig View Post
    Were any of the boats catching shad. Last year I did not catch a single shad there from the boat, and saw very few others even trying there last year. The year before it was just the opposite.
    I was out on Monday and I saw 2 boats absolutely destroying the shad. It seemed every 5 mins or less they were reeling them in.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

QAR..on your note about bellied up babies floating down the river...

Many many many moons ago I used have a problem with killing baby stripers by trying to get my hook back. I started cutting the leader on deep hooked fish. Then I realized I was retying too often, so I made plenty of pre-tied leaders. Then I began to realize that I'm losing a lot of hooks from cutting them off.

My revelation came while sturgeon fishing that I hook just as many small keeper sized stripers with a big hook as opposed to a small hook. I also realized that in most baitfishing situations that they are not line or hook shy at all. As y'all can see QAR had no problems hooking them on a 7/0 hook. My personal preference now when soaking any type of cutbait/worm/shrimp is a 5/0 kahle style hook. For cutbait, I pre-wrap it with stretchy thread then I can easily thread it up the long shank of the kahle hook. The bigger hook along with a heavier leader means I hook and have to handle less undersized fish and some days never have to change the leader.

If you feel the need to hook every single fish that sniffs your bait whether it be 8" or 8# so be it, but a little conscience is appreciated. A push/pull dehooker is a great tool for shaking off undersized fish. In most instances you don't even have to handle the fish. If you don't want to be bothered with rebaiting seemingly every 30 seconds when shakers are in or swing and miss hooksets on machine gun nibble bites, throw on a nice big hunka chunka bait and wait for BALANCER DOWN!

10. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had fun and got a dinner out of it, Nice. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Fished both mornings below Verona

Anchored well below the crowd and soaked sardine fillets on 7/0 barbless circle hooks. West side of the river in 15' of h20.

Also picked up some fish on minnows back bounced behind the boat.

Sardine gear: Phoenix 805, abu 6500 20# maxima ultragreen main line 30# leader

Minnow gear: north forks composites 828, okuma komodo ss. 15# ultragreen main #20 floro leader 2/0 mustad dem on light wire circle hooks

Only need 1-2 oz..

Had to weed through lots of shakers but got limits both mornings

Verona is an absolute zoo with shad boats.

Lots of grass and leaves today, surface temp up to 65*

As an aside: way to many dead and dying floating shaker stripers- pretty sad ripping a fish's guts out for .20 cent hook.

Most are too lazy to re tie the hook---think they will miss a bite if not back in the water
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    The courage not to fib about it,
    and the wisdom to know that
    none will believe me anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast