Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flies for the Sierra streams

Nymphing with no indicator is excellent for heavily fished streams. It is my main attack at places like hot creek and east walker. Tips for this technique, I usually cut down my leader from 9ft to 6ft or less. I actually rarely use the end of my fly line as an indicator. In my experience if you see the line move you are late to set the hook. Look for white belly flashes in the water around your drift and when you see that set the hook. Good luck report back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....Ill be fishing the West Carson this evening and tomorrow. Drove across it yesterday and it looked like it was in good shape. A little fast but not really to high. Ill report back later

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of cased caddis and black stonefly nymphs. Lots of weight, you want to be ticking bottom every few casts

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had good success on the East Carson with the following:
    Dries: Yellow Humpy, E/C Caddis, Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams
    Nymphs: Fox Poopah, Prince, Pheasant Tail.

I usually fish these flies in size 14, though Ill sometimes drop the PT and Prince to 16 or 18.

Ive been Euro Nymphing for about two years. Heavily weight your nymphs. Tangles are very easy if you have to add split shot to your rig. If you do add weight, tangles are less if you put the weight between the flies.

Bring plenty of flies. One looses a lot of flies with this method, especially as a newbie.

Id also check the flows. The East Carson is running way too high and off color for fly fishing the last time I looked. Optimum is 350 cfs or less.

Post Thanks / Like

Flies for the Sierra streams

Been fly fishing for awhile but mainly Shad and steelhead in the American River. Heading up to the mountains this weekend. Plan on fishing the West Carson and maybe a few area lakes up Hwy-88. What flies or nymphs should I bring for the Carson River?

I am planning on trying this new Euro nymphing technique without an indicator and just using a colored leader. Anyone have experience with that?