Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding gas fill to removable gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray4540 View Post
    Well, that’s good to know about the bulkheads not sealing. Then again, it is on top of the tank, so doesn’t need to be liquid tight as much as it just needs to be splash proof? I might try it and if it doesn’t work then I’ll have to buy one of those other tanks like everyone is suggesting.

strap? Haha, there ain’t no strap, it just sits down there, but it is in pretty tight quarters, there’s no way I would ever try to pull it out to refill it, hence why I just struggle refilling it from another gas can and splash gas all over the inside of the boat. I was just out there looking at it and I think I have an idea. I might play around and see what I can come up with after this weekend if I ever get time to tinker on the boat.
    the transmission funnel is a good idea in the mean time. These new gas can spouts with the “spill proof” design are garbage.
    I have 8 of those special Californicated gas cans in storage each year for my generator. I cut off one of the spouts to see if there was a way around them, not much of an improvement. I bought a hand pump for transfer to my lawnmower which works pretty good, but I would not recommend it for a boat just too much work. Here are a few things to look at that might be helpful.......Jetspray

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4oljce4lmr_e
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, i need to order a replacement spout, i’ve Just been procrastinating.
    Wish I were fish'n

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    You can get replacement spouts for those gas cans online and dump those stupid “eco-spouts”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Those things drive me nuts. They're not required where I live but NAPA Auto parts cant get them without. I use the racing style containers and make my own spouts.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get replacement spouts for those gas cans online and dump those stupid “eco-spouts”.

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that’s good to know about the bulkheads not sealing. Then again, it is on top of the tank, so doesn’t need to be liquid tight as much as it just needs to be splash proof? I might try it and if it doesn’t work then I’ll have to buy one of those other tanks like everyone is suggesting.

strap? Haha, there ain’t no strap, it just sits down there, but it is in pretty tight quarters, there’s no way I would ever try to pull it out to refill it, hence why I just struggle refilling it from another gas can and splash gas all over the inside of the boat. I was just out there looking at it and I think I have an idea. I might play around and see what I can come up with after this weekend if I ever get time to tinker on the boat.
    the transmission funnel is a good idea in the mean time. These new gas can spouts with the “spill proof” design are garbage.
    Wish I were fish'n

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hated just picking up a gas tank from inside my old boat so I carried a transmission filler funnel in the boat to fill it, had to keep an eye on the tank level though.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I was hoping there was an off the shelf solution. Seems like a simple upgrade that would make life much easier for small boat owners.
    yeah, I could fabricate a mount if I had to, the adapter to the tank is the biggest problem. Tanks seem expensive so I’d hate to buy one. I wonder if there are any bulkhead adapters so i could just cut a hole and mount the bulkhead and attach the fill hose to the bulkhead.

did you mount your tank up front or just the fill hole? My boat is pretty stern heavy, so it would be nice to move the weight of the gas to the bow. Then again, that seems like a really long run for the hose between the tank and the motor. Would that be a problem?
    They do make a 1-1/4" ID bulkhead adapter and a 1/2" bulkhead adapter but my experience with those is that you can't get them to seal and again, it's that darn release agent in the HDPE that I believe is the culprit. I tried that approach on my RV water tank and never could get it to stop leaking.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with LineStretcher, your best bet will be to get a Moeller tank with a filler and vent tube and fabricate the rest from there. The standard red tanks aren’t designed to be used in that manner. The only other option is to fabricate a quick release system on whatever strap you have holding the tank in and remove the tank each time you fill up.

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I was hoping there was an off the shelf solution. Seems like a simple upgrade that would make life much easier for small boat owners.
    yeah, I could fabricate a mount if I had to, the adapter to the tank is the biggest problem. Tanks seem expensive so I’d hate to buy one. I wonder if there are any bulkhead adapters so i could just cut a hole and mount the bulkhead and attach the fill hose to the bulkhead.

did you mount your tank up front or just the fill hole? My boat is pretty stern heavy, so it would be nice to move the weight of the gas to the bow. Then again, that seems like a really long run for the hose between the tank and the motor. Would that be a problem?
    Wish I were fish'n

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

So I have a little 16’ side console Klamath that I want to add a gas fill to so I can gas it up from the outside and not spill gas all over the bilge. It has a removeable red gas tank that basically sits in the bilge.
    it’s an aluminum boat with thin walls, so not sure exactly where I would mount the gas fill hole/cap. I also don’t know if they make an adapter to fit the threaded hole of the removeable red gas tank.

so here are my problems:
    * do they make some kind of adapter or bracket for mounting a gas fill to an aluminum boat that doesn’t have wide Gunnel tops?
    * do they make an adapter to fit standard red gas tanks with threaded caps?

has anyone ever added a gas fill to a small aluminum boat?
    if so, how did you do it? Where did you mount it?
    I've never seen either item that you're looking for. For the filler mount I think you could fabricate something out of aluminum pretty easily. As for the tank, you would need to epoxy in a fill neck and vent. The problem here is that the tank is used and the only way to get the epoxy to stick to HDPE is to get rid of the release agent and the only way to do that is to burn it off. Burning it off is pretty easy but since the tank is used, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near it with an open flame.

You could go buy a new tank just like you have or you can buy a Moeler tank that has all the fittings already installed. I put one of their 10 gal tanks up front in a 14' boat I had a few years back and it worked out pretty nice. I had built a deck up front so mounting the filler cap was easy.

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast