Thread: Top water reels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top water reels

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    All the reels you list you can find for around $100 less that the prices you list. All of them are good reels.
    Im not sure what you will be fishing for. You mention top water and also mention “kingi”, what ever that is(king salmon??) so what species of fish and where? In any event I think the least expensive king spin fisher v8500 should be fine and you can find them for $60 to $70 cheaper than the $239
    I think he hooked you. This is a kingi:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top water reels

All the reels you list you can find for around $100 less that the prices you list. All of them are good reels.
    Im not sure what you will be fishing for. You mention top water and also mention “kingi”, what ever that is(king salmon??) so what species of fish and where? In any event I think the least expensive king spin fisher v8500 should be fine and you can find them for $60 to $70 cheaper than the $239
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

3. Likes WhopperStopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top water reels

Hi guys, I’m looking at buying a reel that can handle catching a kingi off the rocks or from a wharf. I am looking into the low/mid-priced reels.
    This will be my stick bait/popper reel and be loaded with 50-80lb braid

Low price range:

$239 PENN Spinfisher V 8500 - 15.8kg Drag
    $269 Fin-Nor Offshore 8500 - 27kg Drag

Mid price range:

$399 Shimano Saragosa 10000 15kg Drag
    $499 Daiwa Saltist 6500 15kg Drag

I am new to Topwater fishing so I have no idea if these reels are suitable to do the job. Any recommendations of other reels or feedback on these ones would be greatly appreciated.