Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubled Waters

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubled Waters

I wonder how much of the 14,000 lbs of the poisonous rodentcide quoted in this article wound up in New Melones and Comanche reservoir?

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/01/19/mexican-drug-cartels-taking-over-california-legal-marijuana-775665.html

Another one:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ug-war/521352/

Quoted from above article: "Gabriel and Thompson fear the poisons could spread far beyond each grow site and contaminate the water supply of towns and cities far downstream. The toxicants can leach into the soil and linger for years. Using water monitors, Gabriel has already found organophosphates—nerve agents used to make insecticides and certain types of chemical weapons—several hundred meters downhill from grow sites. “We know it’s happening, we just don’t know the extent, and we don’t know what other chemicals are involved,” he says."

I guess once people start going to their doctors with health issues will this problem start to gain Moonbeam's or the new governor's attention. By then, for many it will be too late.

I advise folks to pack heat when visiting the back country, something I've been doing the last 20yrs. Most folks are good but it only takes one bad one to ruin your day.

Folks mysteriously missing off hwy 108 are listed in this article and there are many illegal marijuana grows off the hwy 108 corridor. I have friends who have spotted drip lines in the ravines in this area:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/4735782-151/donnell-vista-majestic-and-mystifying

Stop by or visit one the National Forest offices in August or September and you might see the mountains of drip lines pulled up and eradicted from the illegal marijuana grows.
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 10:58 AM.

2. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the ‘80’s we were taking a 2 week backpack in October into the Marble Mtns. We parked at the trailhead outside a little town called Sawyers Bar and were on our way. About a half mile in we came to a fork in the trail that wasn’t shown on the map. Decided to take the right fork since it went uphill. After a couple hundred yards it started going downhill towards a creek. We were just deciding that we took the wrong fork when we came across a trashy, tarp covered makeshift encampment. We were confronted by 3 very unfriendly guys; one holding back a snarling German Shepherd and another holding a shotgun. They asked “what do you guys want?” “We’re heading into Hancock Lake.” “You took a wrong turn.” “Oh, OK, sorry.” Made a quick U-turn. Yikes! I am only, guessing but I’m pretty sure there was a grow somewhere nearby. Scared s- -tless! Thought I was going to get shot. Went back and took the left fork, which was the right one.

4. Likes Waterdog, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A growing problem in our national forests is the use of highly toxic chemicals used by the cartels for their illegal marijuana grows.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/...nds/index.html

Now we have to worry about not only running into the bad guys, their booby traps but is the stream water poisoned?

I do drink from streams, filtered of course but no filter is going to capture the toxic rodentcide they are using around their grows.

How about a fish hook in your eye? The cartels hang fish hooks from branches at eye level hoping they will snag you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope your right!! As dad taught me: Replace your divot and one other or pick up your trash and someone else's.
    2017 18' Allied Spitfire w/red stripe 115 & 9.9 Yamaha. "Cold Beer & Conversation" GS

8. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoJack View Post
    So if I bend over, do I get a 12-month license or a calendar year license?

grin
    does it really matter ?? Just enjoy bending over !!!! at least ask for a Kiss right?????

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the gripes here, while certainly legitimate, are the largely unavoidable result of increasing population in this state. Anyone over the age of 35 or so will have noticed how traffic has worsened by about 3X in the past 15 or 20 years. The state is at the point where many freeways and major traffic arteries are slower than walking during much of the day.

A lot of us would probably be much happier moving elsewhere...to a different state....but that is easier said than done.

Post Thanks / Like

So if I bend over, do I get a 12-month license or a calendar year license?

grin

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Granted it`s a California thing . whats funny is that the are trying to push the 12 Month license issue because of what ?? lack of participants. be that Californa will take your Money and give you really jack **** in return , if California wants to increase Participation , maybe giving those that will and do fish, get more fish to Catch . Not say , We will try and pass a 12 Month License get more people to fish and go get skunked" .and then wonder why we don`t have fisherman renewing the license anymore !!! California Politics cares less about the Outdoors fisherman and hunter Period!!!
    having more people fish will bring in More revenue yes , problem really is,It wont be used for the Fisheries!!!!!
    and that`s the Pattern that has yet to change !!!!! Bend over ...I Love you!!!!!!!. Now go home!!!!!!!
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of trash, check this wrench I found in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from any road, in the middle of the forest that hasn't been logged for 30-40 years. Fell out of a plane?

22853084_731251890404736_6855150571900753331_n.jpg

13. Likes fishrman4life1957 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chubbswheeler View Post
    Hmmmm, maybe if everyone treated the Wilderness like it was their own they wouldn't leave trash all over the place. This sense of ownership only makes me appreciate the area I call home even more. I wasn't saying its not yours too.... If I am correct it is mine, and yours, and her, and his, and theirs. That's why it's national Forest. It belongs to all of us. Am I wrong?
    Nah you're not wrong. I pick up others trash everytime out, makes me sick as I live up high.

Post Thanks / Like

As for the repect of the forest, It has went south. I have seen graffiti covere bridges in Hope Valley all the way into Crystal Basin by Loon Lake. My son sees garbage throughout the forest on his jeep excursions. He brings bags to clean up what he can. SO with the crowds come the people who dont care enough about the Beauty of The Land and Water. I might not own the forest but I love it enough to leave it for the next person to enjoy just like found it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

16. Likes Stickman, chubbswheeler, Waterdog, TBSP liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast