Post Thanks / Like

Re: Downrigger Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bret1972 View Post
    Mine donít swivel, so I take it off, but even if it did, I learned my lesson with some new rod holders I bought.
    Put on my brand new Orca rod holders and got to the boat launch to find that one had vibrated the screw loose.... I had a little stub sticking out of the mount, but nothing attached. Iíd be concerned about vibrations on the downriggers working screws lose.
    Mine have always swiveled as I got them installed by the boat dealership. I have had a base break due to hitting the dock at Topaz, not a hard job but getting the right base was only as difficult as buying one at Sportsman's Warehouse in Carson City. I did loose a couple of pole holders at Pyramid a few years ago, as they fell from the swim platform as I was leaving the dock. I fixed that by putting extensions on a few of them and wrapping them with pipe insulator material and zip ties so that they would float (just wrapped it around the extension with the zip ties around them).......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Mine donít swivel, so I take it off, but even if it did, I learned my lesson with some new rod holders I bought.
    Put on my brand new Orca rod holders and got to the boat launch to find that one had vibrated the screw loose.... I had a little stub sticking out of the mount, but nothing attached. Iíd be concerned about vibrations on the downriggers working screws lose.
    Itís better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine swivel... just turn them in and have never taken them off to travel. Zero issues.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    ... Just donít leave them sticking out to the side ...
    Now you tell me . j/k .

7. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I donít see a problem leaving them on when towing the boat. Itís certainly way more convenient. I stow mine but only because when I travel with my boat top down it rides on the downriggers. Just donít leave them sticking out to the side and check the bolts before every trip to be sure they are tight.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not have swivel bases and I don't want them sticking out the side so I remove mine when the boat is on the trailer. I also remove one side when pulling up to the dock.

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to travel with the downriggers mounted but an incident changed all that and I have been carrying them stowed for about 15 years. Coming home on 4 lane highway 395 from a nearby lake, a deer came out of nowhere and tried to jump the boat as we traveled along at 55 mph. Needless to say, neither the deer nor the downrigger and mount survived. The insurance claims adjuster said deer trying cross highways are a common cause of boat accidents in rural areas. I choose to be safe rather than lazy and sorry, but I fish in areas where there are a lot of deer. If I fished the flatland with more roads than woods, I might think differently.
    Last edited by OYD; 06-13-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I trailer with them on. Not just local but to Moss and Bodega.

14. Likes chubbswheeler, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Downrigger Question

Do you stow your downriggers or travel/trailer with them on their base plates? Thanks..

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post