Post Thanks / Like

Re: Late report - bait soaker

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have found the secret both for catching and successful release. Good on you.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Late report - bait soaker

I got out to fish the channel outside Frank's Tract on Monday 6/11. Fished both tides soaking bait for 13 striped bass - all in the 17"-18" class except for one big boy that measured 36" and weighed in at 19.88 lbs. All fish released to fight another day.

I have been learning to fish with circle hooks to reduce mortality - particularly with the undersized fish- and have enjoyed great success. All fish caught on Monday were hooked in the corner of the mouth and released unharmed. I have developed a bait rigging technique that leaves the hook free to make the critical rotation while being tough enough to handle lots of hits without separating from the bait. Now that I am retired (at least from full time schedule) I hope to learn how to post a short vid (should be less than a minute) to show fellow anglers what has been working for me.

A thousand thanks to all of the Fish Sniffer posters that have helped me learn to be a better fisher for stripers, bass, crappie, trout, and even bluegill over the years. Your taking the time to share with us has turned me from a hack into a journeyman.

Stickman