Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macks attracked to downrigger balls and blades?

Your seeing what are macs or large fish. they come up from the bottom and loose interest.

find the right combo and start catching them.
    We caugh more by speeding up and did well at 1500 - 1800 rpm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macks attracked to downrigger balls and blades?

I pretty much always put gang trolls on one of my downrigger balls at stampede and sometimes at tahoe. I see the same thing but I usually will catch a Mac if I want. Last week I got a 6 pound brown on that set up and this morning the biggest koke I got came on the same set up .

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Macks attracked to downrigger balls and blades?

Went to Stampede over the weekend. Mainly targeted kokanee and rainbows, but I had five separate incidents of looking at my depth finder and seeing a large mark move up from near the bottom to my downrigger balls, hold there for a bit, and the either disappear, or drop back to the bottom. I had a set of flashers attached to one of the balls, and both show up clearly on the depth finder.

When I saw the first mark move up to the downrigger balls, hold for a while and then descend back to the bottom, I didn't have any doubt that is was a curious mack, but when it happened multiple times, I began to wonder if I was misinterpreting the marks. I've been testing out different modes on my new Lowrance Unit (only had it a few months), and it's taken some getting used to. It doesn't have the dumb fish-id symbols some of the old units have, but it looks like it does interpret mid-water marks as fish and shows an arch. I always laugh at folks I take out who see marks on the screen and assume they're all fish, knowing most of what's showing is surface clutter, debris or misc junk (Clearly there's no school of fish 2' under the transducer following the boat around). In this case it's got me wondering if I'm not the rookie.

I did drop a maglip down for a while, and a dodger/crawler but didn't get any macks. Either of those will usually pickup little macks if their hungry, but I didn't have much time to spend on it either, so I'm still guessing to a point.

Curious if others see the same thing on a regular basis.

4. Likes MKE liked this post