Post Thanks / Like

Re: On a cruise ship in August. Best sailfishing port? Cabo? Mazatlan? PV?

July and August have, in my experience, been fantastic for dorado. Hotter than baked snakes though. Billfish seem to be harder to predict, and sometimes they are close while other times you have to go way out. My favorite trips have been off a panga. Shorter duration so may be more conducive to cruise ship schedules than cruisers.

Buen suerte!
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys! Knew I could count on sniffers!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd vote PV as well. Booking something off ship does give you the best deal... just be aware that if you book off ship they won't wait for you if the trip runs past departure (unlike, ship booked excursions).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KERPOW View Post
    Cabo is usually a short stay when you go in on a cruise ship. And you have to Tender in and out, which takes time and cuts down on your fishing time. I've done a lot of 3 or 4 hour fishing trips on a panga out of there off of cruise ships and I've had a lot of success with Tuna or Dorado depending on the time of year. That being said, Cabo is the best fishing in close to shore and I once caught a 120 lb Striped Marlin and a 66 pound Wahoo a half-mile offshore just north of the arches in a four hour trip out of Cabo.<br>
    <br>
    My experience in Mazatlan is they don't always have the best boats, but if you get in the Blue Water, you got a good chance at a Sailfish or Marlin.<br>
    <br>
    My choice would be PV, but plan on an all day trip so you can get out deep into the blue water.<br>
    <br>
    Good luck! Whatever you choose will be a great experience whether you catch fish or not.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Best wishes for fishes.<br>
    KERPOW!
    I agree. Also avoid the ship booking. Twice I did and went for boat rides. The other times I booked from home.Good fishing.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabo is usually a short stay when you go in on a cruise ship. And you have to Tender in and out, which takes time and cuts down on your fishing time. I've done a lot of 3 or 4 hour fishing trips on a panga out of there off of cruise ships and I've had a lot of success with Tuna or Dorado depending on the time of year. That being said, Cabo is the best fishing in close to shore and I once caught a 120 lb Striped Marlin and a 66 pound Wahoo a half-mile offshore just north of the arches in a four hour trip out of Cabo.

My experience in Mazatlan is they don't always have the best boats, but if you get in the Blue Water, you got a good chance at a Sailfish or Marlin.

My choice would be PV, but plan on an all day trip so you can get out deep into the blue water.

Good luck! Whatever you choose will be a great experience whether you catch fish or not.

Best wishes for fishes.
    KERPOW!

6. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On a cruise ship in August. Best sailfishing port? Cabo? Mazatlan? PV?

Hello everyone, will be on a cruise and wife has granted permission for a sailfishing excursion during one of the 3 port days. Which one would you choose? Cabo? Mazatlan? PV? Any recommendations?