Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Bluegill Fishing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
    What is an appropriate/good sized Bluegill to eat? I catch 8 inchers off my dad's dock when I can't get anything else (Tulloch). I toss them back.

I can stand there and see them about 5 feet down in 10 feet of water. I drop all kinds of different things at them and watch how they react and chase it around, and how long it takes for them to not be interested in a specific bait at all. It's interesting. Almost got em with a fake cricket, but so far they only bite live bait.

The bigger ones are slightly further out but easily catchable from the dock. Thinking about dropping my GoPro underwater and trying to get some strike footage ;)

As for bass, they'd probably eat my GoPro. Seems like they'd hit a spare tire if they were pissed off enough.
    8" is a good size to keep. I keep them if the body, not including the tail, is the size of my hand or larger.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

2. Likes CDK, reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is an appropriate/good sized Bluegill to eat? I catch 8 inchers off my dad's dock when I can't get anything else (Tulloch). I toss them back.

I can stand there and see them about 5 feet down in 10 feet of water. I drop all kinds of different things at them and watch how they react and chase it around, and how long it takes for them to not be interested in a specific bait at all. It's interesting. Almost got em with a fake cricket, but so far they only bite live bait.

The bigger ones are slightly further out but easily catchable from the dock. Thinking about dropping my GoPro underwater and trying to get some strike footage ;)

As for bass, they'd probably eat my GoPro. Seems like they'd hit a spare tire if they were pissed off enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Last month my dad hooked a solid 5 pound bass on two pound. Fought it good until he got her boatside. Dove for the gravel and snapped the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I got a spool of 2lbs fluorocarbon and sometimes use it for leaders, but the thing that keeps me from trusting it is that chance of a bass striking unpredictably (which has happened a couple times already) and breaking the line right away. Never had that worry when fishing in Germany, but here’s a video of a pike striking a released “Rotauge” (around 3:00). https://youtu.be/W2IxOG2rseI

6. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer bluegill fishing over bass. There is something just terrific about catching fish on 2 pound line. If you decide to keep and eat a few the meet is some of the most delicious out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I like about this is the hunt for floats. Sure, I got my collection of crank baits etc. just like any other fishermen. But a good collection of great floats is special. I've found it surprisingly hard to find good (and beautiful) floats here in America; Amazon occasionally comes up with a decent option, but most floats are crudely made or huge (if you want to fish with 0.5g or so). So I've been hitting Amazon.de a lot and used my parents in Germany as middlemen to send me good European ones. I've also found some nice Chinese imports that make precision fishing lots of fun. Next stop will be finding a decent waggler - once again, they're super hard to find, where Amazon.de immediately reveals dozens of options, I've only found a single one on Amazon and Bass Pro Shops (Thill Gold Medal Series, which I'll give a try).

Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm working with right now, but I need more! Got any tips where I can find a good inventory of great finesse floats in the US? I'd love to know!

IMG_6882.jpgIMG_6883.jpg
    Last edited by Drakestar; 06-18-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A Bluegill Fishing Thread

I don't think this is a very popular opinion among fishing enthusiasts, but may I say that I love bluegill fishing? I think it's a seriously underrated way of passing your time!

Maybe it's my upbringing: I grew up in Germany, where I did a lot of "Stippen" as a teenager. Stippen uses a pole rod (no reel, just a line attached to a 23+ foot rod) to catch tons of "nuisance fish". Small hooks, thin line, small floats - tons of fun. You pull tons of small and medium sized fish from the water and fill up your keep net. I used to enter competitions and I won a few awards. Catching 10 pounds of fish in 3 hours - that kinda stuff, great memories. (The fish didn't go to waste, btw, it was donated to local animal shelters.)

I didn't bring any of my gear when I moved to the US 20 years ago and only rediscovered it about a year ago when I started taking my son fishing. We caught a whole bunch of trout, some catfish and carp... the usual fare in the US (minus the carp, I guess - but that's another story). Now that it's summer I wanted my kids to start fishing all by themselves and have some success stories, so we targeted bluegill. Same gear as before: an ultralight rod, 4lbs line, #12 or #14 hooks - and it's tons of fun! The fish feel big and fight well on the light gear, and the kids are having a blast!

But even with no kids around I've had a ton of fun targeting bluegill. For one, I get to hike to remote places and discover fishing holes that hold rather big bluegill. Not monsters, but just this Sunday I found a spot where I caught 18 bluegill around 8 inches. Finding these holes means hiking to all the same places that I'd explore for bass fishing, anyway, so targeting bluegill means targeting bass. I hooked a bass on the last three trips that took, without explicitly trying. I landed two smallmouths and lost one that unexpectedly struck my #14 hook holding a single piece of crappie nibbles. Broke my 4lbs leader after about ten seconds, which sucked - but that's the thrill of fishing with light gear.

Anyway, maybe I'm rambling. I know that it's not the flashiest of ways to fish, and maybe it doesn't take as much skill as perfectly casting and presenting a senko and the like. But man, I find it to be a ton of fun, and maybe you agree! :)

35526756_10216069969842912_7847197457891983360_n.jpg