Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Finding Generak parts

So now Im not getting any spark. My hands are to fat to be poking around in this thing so if anyone wants a 4w generator make me an offer. Im going to go grab me a honda. After pulling on this thing so much Im making sure the new one has electric start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    Okay! Carb was swapped for a new one. It only took two months. Damn near passing out here from pulling this thing so much and not even a sputter. I adjusted the needles and used half a can of ether. Anyone want a generator? This 8 horse needs an electric start

I feel your pain, I had one that was smaller for a trailer and it would beat you up just trying to start it. We had an RV at one time, my wife ran all of the batteries down and I could not get the main engine to turn without charging up the batteries. I had to pull start the Onan on that unit to get the batteries up to power so that I could start up the main engine. Later I installed a spade break on that battery so that would not occur again. For now my generator in the garage is electric start, and I have the battery on a trickle charger....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

3. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay! Carb was swapped for a new one. It only took two months. Damn near passing out here from pulling this thing so much and not even a sputter. I adjusted the needles and used half a can of ether. Anyone want a generator? This 8 horse needs an electric start

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Help Finding Generak parts

Ok... it might just be me but getting the carb off was a lot more work than anticipated. Let the cleaning process begin!

I agree, we have a couple of places in town that work on small engine stuff (about 4 between Gardnerville & Minden). I would have to take our 6,800 watt Onan to one of them to fix anything. I don't think I could get my hands into where the carb is on that thing.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... it might just be me but getting the carb off was a lot more work than anticipated. Let the cleaning process begin!

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    I agree with the probability of dirty gas. The carbs on these things have tiny passages and any dirt that gets past the filter is going to cause problems. It is really hard to get these things cleaned out once they're plugged because it's really hard to figure out which direction is reverse fuel flow and you often end up just forcing the dirt further into the passage making it impossible to remove.

So now my question is did you misspell the name in your title or did you mean to spell Generac. If the name you used is the correct spelling then you're probably on you own since it is obviously a knock off. If you meant Generac rather than Generak then go to their website at www.generac.com. They have parts and service reps available to help you. The Generac parts are made in China but they are assembled here in the U.S. and they are a quality affordable unit.
    Ill get back to you on that. I need to find the model number on this thing.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 4w Commercial Generak for $200 last year. It really came in handy during The wine country fires as I was able to keep peoples fridges and lights working once the power was out. It saw a lot of use in that first week but after the sixth day it would not start again after it was shut off to move locations. Fuel pours out of the top of the carburetor and I am thinking the needle in there went bad. From what I can gather that seems to be a pretty common issue with these generators. I cant find a carburetor rebuild kit for this 4w model though and I was wondering if some one could help me locate at least a replacement needle. My usual small engine mechanic shop landed a contract with Steel so they refuse to work on anything else now.

I agree with the probability of dirty gas. The carbs on these things have tiny passages and any dirt that gets past the filter is going to cause problems. It is really hard to get these things cleaned out once they're plugged because it's really hard to figure out which direction is reverse fuel flow and you often end up just forcing the dirt further into the passage making it impossible to remove.

So now my question is did you misspell the name in your title or did you mean to spell Generac. If the name you used is the correct spelling then you're probably on you own since it is obviously a knock off. If you meant Generac rather than Generak then go to their website at www.generac.com. They have parts and service reps available to help you. The Generac parts are made in China but they are assembled here in the U.S. and they are a quality affordable unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Since most generators large or small sit for long periods between uses it may be the lines leading to the carb and the tank may be contaminated or full of varnish. You might just need to drain the old fuel through a painters filter into a container. Then use some SeaFoam in the "new gas" and a little starter fluid sprayed in when trying to start it up. I have so many gas operated things here it is a chase to find problems when winter is over........Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    If it is debris carb cleaner isn't going to do it. Remove the bowl and the valve and maybe then get some air or cleaner in the valve. On my generator I usually remove the bowl and the valve then let it run a tiny bit of fuel out and that will usually take the debris with it.
    Ill try that. Anything to avoid spending money. I got salmon charters to pay for.

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is debris carb cleaner isn't going to do it. Remove the bowl and the valve and maybe then get some air or cleaner in the valve. On my generator I usually remove the bowl and the valve then let it run a tiny bit of fuel out and that will usually take the debris with it.

16. Likes Yearroundfisherman, Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast