Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hatchery Spawning Question

They work off of a protocol, that gets reanalyzed and adjusted regularly. It's not some dude sitting in a lawn chair, figuring out which Tuesday he wants to work.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 06-27-2018 at 05:09 PM.

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queenannesrevenge View Post
    no, not at all. They're trying to help
    spring and winter runs by keeping the hatchery gene's as close to fall run as possible. If a hatchery brat returns too early and spawns with a springer or winter run it will dilute the genes on the redd. Weaker offspring etc

sent from my sm-g892a using tapatalk
    tooooo late!!!!!

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Datster_2000 View Post
    So basically the State of California is too cheap to increase the runs back to summer, fall and spring. And here I've been told by the Sacramento Dome heads that diversity is what California is all about. I'm shocked......not really
    No, not at all. They're trying to help
    Spring and winter runs by keeping the hatchery Gene's as close to fall run as possible. If a hatchery brat returns too early and spawns with a Springer or winter run it will dilute the genes on the Redd. Weaker offspring etc

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

the Domes that Love to Tax us don`t fish .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    True- salmon dig Redds pretty soon upon reaching headwaters(competition for space)There's springers on the feather sitting on redds from April that haven't spawned yet. Just because a salmon is on a redd doesn't mean the hens ripe.

Your a hatchery manager-imagine you have 1000 man hours budgeted.
    Now let's say you have to maximize the yield of those man hours, while doing your best to maintain diversity of genus and max return on investment. Do you spread those hours thinly with the first arrivals(who would probably not have the fall run Gene's your after anyway), additionally your next wave of salmon could be a long ways off if its a long hot summer and water managers drop flows. Or, do you sit until you have full ladders of ready to go fish? Fish that are spawned around the same time hatch and grow at the same rate saving you $$ on water and release schedules.
    It all comes down to limited resources, lawsuits and water management.

So basically the State of California is too cheap to increase the runs back to summer, fall and spring. And here I've been told by the Sacramento Dome heads that diversity is what California is all about. I'm shocked......not really

6. Likes Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True- salmon dig Redds pretty soon upon reaching headwaters(competition for space)There's springers on the feather sitting on redds from April that haven't spawned yet. Just because a salmon is on a redd doesn't mean the hens ripe.

Your a hatchery manager-imagine you have 1000 man hours budgeted.
    Now let's say you have to maximize the yield of those man hours, while doing your best to maintain diversity of genus and max return on investment. Do you spread those hours thinly with the first arrivals(who would probably not have the fall run Gene's your after anyway), additionally your next wave of salmon could be a long ways off if its a long hot summer and water managers drop flows. Or, do you sit until you have full ladders of ready to go fish? Fish that are spawned around the same time hatch and grow at the same rate saving you $$ on water and release schedules.
    It all comes down to limited resources, lawsuits and water management.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Fish have to be ripe, like fruit.

But they don't all "ripen" at the same time. I've seen new redds from July until Dec.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish have to be ripe, like fruit.

10. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hatchery Spawning Question

The only hatchery I've observed is the Nimbus hatchery. It seems like they take the eggs for only a few weeks in October (I think). Would it make sense to spread this out over three or four months. Grow them for a year and release them in the order they were hatched? I thought there used to be salmon in the rivers year round (not all same variety) and I was wondering if this would help. I'm just curious. Thanks