Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #4
    Senior Member BigUnInDaBoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dem Hillz
    Posts
    1,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lowrance Hook2 5 Connector Problem after using Dielectric Grease

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy527 View Post
    Update: I spent some more time cleaning the small amount of grease in both sides of each connector, and I feel like I got most of it out. The plugs were still popping out. I removed the o-rings from both plugs to see if that was where the issue was. After that, I was able to get the connectors to stay seated. There is so little grease in any part of the connection that it seems like even the tiniest amount of grease will cause this problem.

    I don't even think I could clean any more grease out, so I might just have to leave the o-rings off and keep the connections greased.
    90 Iso Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is a good degreaser and I use it on electronics all the time, could give that a shot too?

  2. #3
    Senior Member ReelJerks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lowrance Hook2 5 Connector Problem after using Dielectric Grease

    Sorry you had this experience. The info you were getting (from all over the internet) pertained to the 'twist-lock/threaded' style of connectors, and not the push-in uni style plug.

    You can fix your uni-plugs by spraying them with electrical contact cleaner and dry with a can of compressed air. Don't forget to do plug and receptacle. This should restore your plugs to 'like new' condition.

    Edd
    Pro Staff - MACK'S-SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents




  3. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
  4. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lowrance Hook2 5 Connector Problem after using Dielectric Grease

    Update: I spent some more time cleaning the small amount of grease in both sides of each connector, and I feel like I got most of it out. The plugs were still popping out. I removed the o-rings from both plugs to see if that was where the issue was. After that, I was able to get the connectors to stay seated. There is so little grease in any part of the connection that it seems like even the tiniest amount of grease will cause this problem.

    I don't even think I could clean any more grease out, so I might just have to leave the o-rings off and keep the connections greased.

  5. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
  6. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lowrance Hook2 5 Connector Problem after using Dielectric Grease

    My wife and I have Hobie Outbacks and we took them out to Bodega Bay yesterday. I had read all over the place to use dielectric grease to protect the fish finder connections when using on salt water. In typical fishing day fashion, we were running around like headless chickens getting loaded and I made a snap decision to grease the connectors on my Hook2 5. I squirted a tiny dab in each receptacle on the FF. Once out on the water, I went to plug in the unit, and both connectors would not stay in due to the grease trapping air inside, basically forming a piston. I could compress the air enough to get the plugs to seat all the way, but as soon as I let go, they would slide almost all the way out. I spent some time on the water trying to get as much of the grease out of the receptacles as I could and was eventually able to get the power plug to stay in enough to work. The transducer cable was worse, so I used a piece of 30# mono to get as much grease out of the female pin holes as I could, and eventually I got it to work.

    For those that don't know, this FF does not have screw in connectors; they are friction fit. The fact that the design relies on air being able to escape the connection tells me that they are not water tight, so it's kind of a catch-22: they need something to prevent water from entering, but if you use anything it almost renders the connections unusable.

    I thought I would post this as both a head's up and to see if anyone has a solution.

  7. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •