Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Battery Lasted 14 Years

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondCunniff View Post
    Good to know, as I've been thinking of a battery to work with my Minnkota motor. These minnkotas (like endura) require a marine battery as well, right? Sorry for being a noob, I'm not new to fishing, yet this is my first electric motor, so I'm kinda concerned.
    Deep cycle marine batteries is all I have on board. I also keep them on a trickle charger and during the winter the main battery is heated under the engine cowl with a portable light. There are heaters out there to do that with, but I will stick to light bulbs until my supply of them runs out......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, as I've been thinking of a battery to work with my Minnkota motor. These minnkotas (like endura) require a marine battery as well, right? Sorry for being a noob, I'm not new to fishing, yet this is my first electric motor, so I'm kinda concerned.

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
    I hate Walmart but their batteries are great.

Walmart also has a great warranty. I think it was 2 years full replacement and 5 additional years pro-rated (for my truck). Or maybe 5 total I can't recall. I think Johnson Controls manufactures them. Until someone can beat that and the price I will suffer in Walmart for my batteries.
    According to Interstate, Walmart does sell batteries that are branded as interstate and they may or may not be made by Johnson but they are not warranted by Interstate or Johnson so if you did have a problem you would need to take it back to Walmart. Not a big deal since it's probably easier to find a Walmart than an interstate warranty location. Treat any battery right and they'll last but treat them wrong and all bets are off.

5. Likes redneckpunk, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schplurg View Post

Walmart also has a great warranty. I think it was 2 years full replacement and 5 additional years pro-rated (for my truck). Or maybe 5 total I can't recall. I think Johnson Controls manufactures them. Until someone can beat that and the price I will suffer in Walmart for my batteries.
    I do not hate Walmart here because all of them are "Super Walmarts" with a grocery and a bunch of helpful things for the ladies and even inexpensive health care places for families. You do tend to get more for your money. I went there today and forgot the day of the month, most folks shop after they get their government money and bunch of them came here in Gardnerville from Bridgeport and Bishop and the mountain areas to shop. Lots of folks with multiple carts...…...Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    going on year 12 on my walmart marine battery. Going to replace it soon though, the trolling motor (even though I rarely use it) drains it pretty quick

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 vehicles and a boat, batteries over here do not last that long due to weather conditions changing. All of the vehicles are outside in the weather none are garaged. When a battery starts to go for me, it is usually 4 or 5 years old. Some of the batteries are on trickle changers which are hooked to 110 v house current. The vehicles all have solar panels (1.8 volts) to keep levels up when not in use. Most of them are AGM Marine type batteries as well. I wish you all good luck with what you have installed.......Jetspray

10. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I also have had good results with Walmart batteries. My last starter battery for my boat was a Walmart marine battery and I think it lasted either 8 or 9 years, replaced it las5 year with another Walmart battery. For me any battery that lasts longer than 5 years is doing good.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes Jetspray, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

going on year 12 on my walmart marine battery. Going to replace it soon though, the trolling motor (even though I rarely use it) drains it pretty quick

14. Likes Jetspray, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my original interstates in my 1999 Bass tracker just gave up the ghost, they sat for a good 5 years or so dead aswell in the mid 2000's. I'll have to check out costco's stuff since interstate wants a premium.. good batteries though.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Battery Lasted 14 Years

I replaced the battery in my boat today that I use for my down riggers and other auxiliary things. It wouldn’t hold a charge and I knew it was several years old. I was shocked when I saw the date on it was 4/2004. It was a Costco Kirkland marine battery. I bought it when I got my electric downriggers.
    Just wanted to share , I thought it was amazing any battery would last that long. I believe I didn’t pay more than $40 when I bought it.
    I know when the battery subject comes up people often recommend various expensive brands which is fine but I’ve had really great results with both Costco and Walmart marine batteries.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

18. Likes Jetspray, redneckpunk liked this post