Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me build a rod

Hi guys, I think I've misunderstood the meaning of this forum. Didn't realize it was for building rods from scratch! I was looking for gear recommendations. My mistake!

2. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you built a rod before? The initial cost of equipment and supplies can add up fast so keep that in mind if you are worried about expenses. Mudhole is a great site as Bish0p said. They have several kits, some of which include a rod wrapper and dryer and all the supplies needed. Another site to check is Getbitoutdoors.com, they seem to carry more high end stuff though and I believe they charge oversize fees on blanks. Both companies have very slow standard shipping, just so you know...

When I got started in rod building, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on equipment so I built my own hand wrapper and rod dryer for about $25. I recommend buying a handle reamer kit. You can't match the taper of the blank with a rat tail file.

If you have any other questions about rod building, I'll help if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're new to rod building you could try a travel rod kit from Mudhole.

http://www.mudhole.com/kits-bundles/...ravel-Rod-Kits

Post Thanks / Like

Help me build a rod

Hi all, I'm getting back into fishing after years and years away. I'm finding I've forgotten a lot of the basics; as I'm not getting any bites on my outings. I'm also noticing that my gear is probably not helping me much.

Basically, I want to shore fish for bass, trout, catfish. I'm in Northern California and live near the Mt.Tamalpias lakes/reservoirs.

My current gear is an old Roddy HUnter 5'6", 2-6lb line, Model H53 rod and an Okuma Steeler 30 reel.

I'd like to upgrade so I can cast further and tangle less. I need to be able to break the rod down to fit in my trunk but other than that an open to anything that is not too expnsive.

I'm not familiar with all the current brands and trends. What should I look at, for, and avoid? Looking for suggestions on rod, reel and line brand/color/weight.

Any advice at all us very much appreciated!
    Rob