Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nimbus water release

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    It’s the hottest part of summer - all the corporate ag farmers in the Central Valley need to irrigate their crops on their land that was (literally) once a desert. “Follow the money” is a true statement in this case - Central Valley ag pays alot of money for those water rights. Liquid gold baby - that’s how the politicians view it. I don’t think fish are even part of the equation for most of them, at least not in a positive way.
    AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    It’s the hottest part of summer - all the corporate ag farmers in the Central Valley need to irrigate their crops on their land that was (literally) once a desert. “Follow the money” is a true statement in this case - Central Valley ag pays alot of money for those water rights. Liquid gold baby - that’s how the politicians view it. I don’t think fish are even part of the equation for most of them, at least not in a positive way.
    What he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Many reasons for flows to go up and down. Ag water, municipal water, fisheries flows, recreation and flood control. Many competing interests and lots of regulations. Also, lots of information out there for those who are interested...

http://www.waterforum.org/the-river/...ment-standard/

Just as an example, there are at least 28 managed reservoirs in the Folsom watershed.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...56d56fe9fc7cf0

More than a dozen water districts, and 300,000 water users....

None of that changes the desire to have fisheries at the top of the priority list, but hopefully folks understand, it's not Bob and Fred sitting in their lawn chairs deciding the fate of our water world....

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Datster_2000 View Post
    It's all about the money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

6. Likes IronClad, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I interpreted his statement as meaning......

This is a simple statement without going into the various long worn out explanations that describe the decades old policy of BuRec's complete disregard for fish, i.g., multiple runs of salmon, striped bass, American Shad, and of course, the smaller forage fish and lower end of the aquatic food chain.

Anyone missing the Spring Salmon season that used to occur on the Feather River? Funny how the river closed for the Spring run to supposedly protect them a few years back...... then only to have BuRec not only refuse to pulse flow the river to help downward migrating Fall smolt downriver, but to leave 700 CFS at Yuba City in June when the bulk of the Spring run would migrate upstream. Lets face it, the Spring fish were better to fish vs. the Fall fish anyway.

Do not trust what either BuRec of DWR have to say about water management, period. DWR's handling of the Oroville Dam spillway is proof of what they are capable of..... BuRec has shown a historic pattern of complete disregard for fish or overall health of the SF Bay and Delta Ecosystem. Anyone remember Prospect Island? BuRec was so fish-friendly then weren't they?

8. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bulk of the water goes to the Bay area and some goes to So Cal. They are willing to pay for the water. The fish and the fishermen/women pay virtually zero for water to flow. It's been high flows in the summer and low flows in the winter. Some of the water would be used to pulse the delta to keep the salt water out. You can look back many years and see that even when they had the water it would not be released when it would benefit the fish. I put the link so you can check the water releases over several decades. Some of the graphs will only give you a 720 day maximum for the plots so you have to adjust the date as you go back in time.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/index.html

10. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterdog , A lot of people think the releases this time of year are to send water down South but as far as I know it has nothing to do with that as that water is pulled into the Folsom Canal which starts at the south corner above Nimbus Dam as you can see on Google Earth , I do know for a fact that the Nimbus Releases at this time of year are timed in for the Rafting Companies on the American River so yeah saying it's for the money isn't a false statement in this case as it ups their business which allows them to make more money .

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Care to clarify? I’m just curious. With many things you can just follow the money but I don’t understand how the “money” is relevant here. Not doubting you but just want to be educated.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elvertamike View Post
    I have been noticing the water releases out of Nimbus to be increasing lately. Now at 5,000 cfs, which seems high for this time of year. Is this normal for the American?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elvertamike View Post
    I have been noticing the water releases out of Nimbus to be increasing lately. Now at 5,000 cfs, which seems high for this time of year. Is this normal for the American?
    Can be because its been really hot ?????

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast