Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mooching advice for a Noob

Your buddy's technique is pretty standard for mooching. The term "mooching rod" or "noodle rod" refers to long limber rods and a lot of guys put them in a rod holder. The long limber rod does two things. When a salmon bites, it gets little resistance which is key because they have a tendency to mouth the bait for a while before they swallow it. Second part is it acts as a bit of a shock-absorber when the boat pitches up and down, keeping the bait steadier at depth.

Different folks have different techniques, but the set it and forget it method is an old school technique that works well. That's also the genesis of the circle hook requirement. When they chew on it for a while they tend to swallow it more deeply and get gut hooked with standard J-hooks. Tough to safely release a gut hooked 15" salmon. For those who like yanking on things, spooning metal jigs can be deadly too, and you can jerk till your hearts content. I think I need to go fishing.....

Post Thanks / Like

A coworker of mine never trolls in only mooches and hes always posting pictures on Facebook with limits. When I asked him about his set up he says that he just uses two once egg weights before the leader. Everyone at work that has fished with him says he uses very light weight trout gear. I asked him about line twist and using lots of swivels as well as reeling up his line and lowering it again to work his anchovy, and his response was I dont know what the hell youre talking about... I dont get line twist and I dont raise and lower my stuff. I have everybody drop to different depths and when we figure out how deep they are we all go that deep. Im guessing hes using no more then 15lb mono... maybe even as light as 10lb. His poles look like crappy spinning rods with some abu garcia 5500 reels. Sounds pretty light to me, but he nails them consistently, so who am I to say hes doing something wrong.
    Its better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    So you don't kill a bunch of undersized fish..... Once you learn to use them, they work great....

They blow. Half the fun of mooching with J hooks is the bite and then setting the hook. Reeling tight isn't fun.

Plus with the circle hook regulations you are not allowed to use shim jigs or gitzits and an anchovy fillet that are deadly for big salmon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    Circle hooks blow. Our neighbors up north don't require them, why should we?

So you don't kill a bunch of undersized fish..... Once you learn to use them, they work great....

Post Thanks / Like

Circle hooks blow. Our neighbors up north don't require them, why should we?

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos of salmon mooching out of Moss Landing about 15yrs ago. Tiger rods in background. About 15 of us limited out by 1:00PM.

The 2 salmon on the deck in the last pic were caught a couple yrs later. I was done by 8AM on that trip.

Top table fare! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 07-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I've used Tiger Rods, both braid and 17-30lb mono for salmon mooching. I used trolling sinkers from 2-4 oz and flourocarbon leaders. A bait threader is helpful in rigging your anchovy or herring too.

I use my medium Tiger rod setup with heavy mono (Berkeley Big Game) when going on a party boat and anticipate alot of lines in the water. Otherwise I use my Lamiglas CA Moocher rod with 17-20lb mono, its alot more fun.

When a salmon takes your bait count to about 6-7 then start reeling fast and lifting your rod slowly. Don't jerk, you want the circle hook to settle in the corner of the salmon's mouth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 07-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta let them eat with circle hooks. Braid should be fine. I would definitely have some lighter leaders tied and rigged as light as 15# and 20#. Id be surprised if you need anything more than 2-4oz of lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the type of line makes all that much difference, I caught salmon mooching on both mono and braided line. One of the more important aspect of mooching is to keep the drag light and let the salmon eat and swallow the bait, then just reel reel reel. Do not bull whip the rod to set the hook, just reel. Just my 2. RAY
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Post Thanks / Like

Mooching advice for a Noob

Mooching advice for a Noob

Im going Salmon Mooching for the first time and am looking for advice. Because of financial issues I currently troll a couple times a year with a Tiger rod and a Penn 321GTI spooled with 30# Power pro depth hunter line. Should I re-spool with 30# mono since Im a noob, am assuming line twist will be an issue? Also I am thinking of using a #5 Slydo with 6 to 8oz ball sinkers for easy changes. I typically tie my own leaders with 20# Fluoro but am not positive on that either. A friend is inviting me and I dont know all of the details accept we are going out of Berkley. I have read a few "how toos"

Any advice
    Thanks Fatstogie7