Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newport Vessels trolling motors??

Hi Guys
    Finally got a chance to test the new motor out on the water.

BTW I mis-spoke in my prior report, the motor is not exactly like the Min Kota, there are a few minor differences.

So I finally got it on the water for some testing. It seemed to be a bit louder than my previous motor. I swapped the three blade prop it came with out for the two blade prop that was on my old motor, quieted it right down. As far as thrust I could not tell the difference from the old one to the new. The switching between speed and direction was smooth and the detents seemed positive.

After looking it over and running it my opinion is the Min Kota "may" be a little better as far as quality but not by much.

So far so good.

Helps this helps.

2. Likes LineStretcher, Waterdog, OYD, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I received mine a few days ago. After I got a good look at it in person I checked out a Min Kota at the local sporting goods store, they look pretty much identical. I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet on the water. The bummer is sense I moved to Fresno there will not be near as many opportunities to run it in the salt. ( Good excuse to go visit Houla! )
    I can tell you that my old Min Kota ( Not a salt water model ) didn't hold up to the salt very well at all, even with good wash jobs & Saltaway treatments after each trip. I'll post up how it ran as soon as I get an opportunity to try it out on the water.
    So far so good..................

4. Likes nayr, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do own one of these on my 17ft duck hunting/fishing aluminum. Have been using for 6 months and I probably have 25 trips on it. I have 55lb saltwater version. I have used in bay and delta. Works fine no real complaints except throttle is cheap feeling but no big deal it works. The battery indicator is not accurate is another complaint. Run time with a large group 27 battery is shorter than I would like need two of them to keep me running all day. One battery last 4hrs trolling on a medium setting good for slow trolling for halibut. 2hrs on high setting when I am trolling for striper.
    Dave

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I know about them is a small glimpse of how they work and how much draw they have on the batteries. I would think the length means a bunch and power/turning are important. I do like the way they are so quiet......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I decided to take a chance & ordered the 55lb transom mount. I'll report back after I have put it to use.

9. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray, nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Newport Vessels trolling motors??

Hi All
    So I need to replace my transom mounted trolling motor. I currently have a Min Kota 55 lB thrust 12V. The reverse control quit working. I found these Newport Vessels on Amazon, they are a lot cheaper! I was hoping someone has had experience with them?
    Thanks!

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post