Thread: Grandkids

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grandkids

When I taught hunter safety we had a 22 rifle that could only shoot blanks. Near the end of the course when I was talking about different guns I would pick up the 22 and hand it to one of the students. I’d tell him it wasn’t loaded (he wouldn’t know it shot only blanks) and I tell him to pull the trigger to see what the trigger action was like. Or I’d tell him the gun is broken it can’t fire. He’d pull the trigger and BANG! The whole class would jump. I only remember one time where a student checked to see if it was loaded even though I had said repeatedly always consider a gun loaded and always check it yourself or make the person demonstrate its unloaded. Granted I usually gave it to one of the younger people in the class. Many of them would say, but you’re a safety instructor, I believed you.
    When it comes to safety you just have to drill it into their head over and over.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grandkids

Some of the conversations on the 3 hour drive home were about gun safety and potential hunting accidents. One of the instructors there was involved in a gun accident last year. At the time he was shot no one really knew what his long term prognosis was. He is way better than we had hoped for. He was hit in the arm and he is now back to shooting his bow and said he has about 90% of his strength back. I bring this up just to point out that even a hunting safety instructor can get hurt.
    He and some friends were on a coyote hunt and of course everyone was in full camo. There apparently was some confusion on where everyone was positioned and when a coyote ran between two hunters he got hit by a bullet intended for the coyote.
    You guys can take what you will from this incident but you need to think about who else is out there and do they really know where you are when the shooting starts?? Some hunters get really exited once a game animal is in range and might not be as aware as they should be.

4. Likes Waterdog, reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grandkids

We have my 2 grandsons for a week while their parents are on a vacation. The oldest one just spent the last 5 days at a CWA youth hunter education camp. We picked him up at the dinner last night at Grizzly Ranch. Lots of new young hunters there and everyone involved talked about what a great week it was. My grandson said it was GREAT. He did pass his hunter safety course so we now will have 3 generations in camp on family hunts. We will wait for dad to get home before we actually purchase the hunting license. At an earlier CWA event my grandson won a lifetime hunting certificate and I think they will have to go to a Fish and Wildlife office to take care of that. Now his younger brother is jealous and he also has a lifetime hunter certificate from a earlier CWA fundraiser event.

6. Likes Waterdog, monkey916, zipperman liked this post