Thread: Bodega Bay 7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodega Bay 7/19

Must be lots of sharks around. On Wednesday I was inside Tomales and caught a 45” leopard while trolling a krocodile for halibut.
    On Friday we also saw huge schools of anchovies. Between bird and elephant rock.... ripples of anchovies all over the surface in some cases close to the size of a football field. I shoulda brought my throw net or at least a minnow trap.
    It’s better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bret1972 View Post
    Thresher got snagged on our anchovy... maybe tried to eat it and missed? Thought I had a 30+ pounder reeling him in backwards

536F8C65-E103-454C-A986-ED1BB35132FB.jpg
    In all the years we’ve spent out there I have never hooked a thresher trollling, let alone 4. This is us trying to get our gear back, he broke off and swam away with another watermelon apex. There was a ton of bait a mile out from the whistle buoy, in 160-200’ of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Git-R-Done

3. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thresher got snagged on our anchovy... maybe tried to eat it and missed? Thought I had a 30+ pounder reeling him in backwards

536F8C65-E103-454C-A986-ED1BB35132FB.jpg
    It’s better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

5. Likes nayr, Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff
    And a 32lbr, nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome! Hooking the threshers must have been bad$!#. I've seen them jump clear out of the water right next to the boat, but have never hooked one. Sounds like you got a few very nice sized fish too. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great report - likely headed there tomorrow if the weather won't let us out of the gate. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day on the big blue. Thanks for posting.
    2017, 20ft Gregor Eagle, 100hp Honda, 9.9 Honda, 80 lb Riptide, 4 Scotty 1106's

Post Thanks / Like

Bodega Bay 7/19

Launched at Doran at 6:30 and decided to run south to Bird Rock. Put the gear in the water and trolled south to the top of Ten Mile with not even a drive by. Around noon there was some radio chatter of a scratch bite at the Whist Buoy, but we decide to stick it out and troll back up to Bird. About 1pm we were right out from the Tree’s in 60’ of water and the salmon window opened up and we boat 4 salmon to 32lbs, loosing as many as we caught. The fish are big and hot. Fished 50-55’ otw and watermelon apex out fished everything else. Ended our day back at the whistle buoy for 2 more 8lb cookie cutters at 7pm for a total of 3 limits. The surprise for the day...hooking 4 thresher sharks on apexs. The first one was fun...went airborne 20’ behind the boat before we knew he was hooked. The last 3 where just a pita loosing gear and wasting time when the salmon are biting. Great day and awesome wx.
    Git-R-Done