Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eastside Rivers. 7/26.

Quote Originally Posted by PMR#9 View Post
    moon beam don't fish
    I think that CDFW is depending more and more on private stocks payed for by other entities to cover up their short comings. Places like Twin Lakes and Bridgeport Res. are spending big bucks with near weekly stocks of Private trout. In My area CDFW stocks are really down. So far this year the Carsons have been stocked 3 times by the CDFW. Once a month when they used to stock nearly every week. The county has stocked more times than the state. Indeed. Moonbeam don't fish.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    I think that there may be a problem with the hatchery and stocking. The CDFW has gotten the ok to stock Diploids in the Eastern Sierra south of the Walker River drainage but must stock Triploids in the Walker River drainage. This means that Hot Creek and Black Rock hatcheries have to have two different type of trout. May be a supply problem now or in the future.

CC
    moon beam don't fish

3. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the walker pretty hard And understandably know the planting spots.I have went way outside the box on the last trips .And I have been rewarded well
    Last edited by PMR#9; 07-27-2018 at 02:43 PM.

5. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PMR#9 View Post
    They have done a great job planting some jumbo fish this year .I am still amazed at the lack of planting by dfw .You did not miss anything behind the equipment .If the chamber had not stocked the river we would just be fishing and not catching .Will give a report after the weekend
    I think that there may be a problem with the hatchery and stocking. The CDFW has gotten the ok to stock Diploids in the Eastern Sierra south of the Walker River drainage but must stock Triploids in the Walker River drainage. This means that Hot Creek and Black Rock hatcheries have to have two different type of trout. May be a supply problem now or in the future.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

They have done a great job planting some jumbo fish this year .I am still amazed at the lack of planting by dfw .You did not miss anything behind the equipment .If the chamber had not stocked the river we would just be fishing and not catching .Will give a report after the weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I had a big fish on briefly but it wasn't ment to be. I knew of the stock on Friday but the fished The Carson instead. Then the river page told me that there were problems with the flow. Was lots of road work around the bridge but stopped anyway. CDFW was supposed to stock this week but we saw no indication of that. Couldn't fish the Little Walker because it was completely blocked by construction equipment. Love the W, Walker. Don't think that my 4.5# fish will win me much. Good luck this weekend.

CC

Post Thanks / Like

I fished there over the weekend .Big fish were planted on Friday the 20th .Was very angry with mother nature at 5 45 in the am on Saturday .River was blown out .Had breakfast at meadow cliff .I headed up canyon Looking for clean water and could not find it .Hung out with the relatives for a couple of hours at the campgrounds waiting for water to clear up. Went back to big bridge at noon and water had cleared up so I could see the blade on my pmr#9.Fishing was great for two hours .After that all hell broke loo se .I have never seen it rain so hard .Woke up to same dirty river at 6 am sunday Stuck it out and went up canyon to big bridge .Here is the story for you Richard I was standing in the same place as Jeff and hooked up big time fish went up stream first as you know that is a good thing .Next thing It is running down stream on other side of river in the sand and bushes making one hell of a show for the two teenagers fishing on the other side .First young man cleared his line out of the path .His buddy yelled across to me that he is snagged in the middle .Well you know where my line was his buddy was a trooper and had the sense to cut his line and give me a fighting chance .To make the story shorter I lost the fish over the fast water could not turn it with the equipment I use .Derby leading fish kicked my butt .I will be back this weekend looking for my lost friend

10. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eastside Rivers. 7/26.

As of late thunderstorms have raised river levels and muddied the waters. Things have dried out so JB Fishing and I decided to give the West Walker River a try. We arrived at the bridge at the top of the canyon to find access restricted by road construction. We parked there anyway and went down to the river. River flows were normal for this time of year but the water was still a little off color from the rains. We fished a couple of hours and managed 5 fish to the show. One caught by Jeff was close to 4#. We tried a couple of other spots but there seemed to be few fish and few other fishermen. Heading back we went over Monitor Pass to check out the Basque and The East Carson. The East is still off color, Thanks for the ride Jeff.

CC

East Side Rivers

Some Trout

Basque Telegraph

12. Likes RideNfish, Dbigone, Waterdog, jb fishing liked this post