Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caples Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caples Lake

Was up there today swimming with the kids, but didn't fish. Dog days of summer slow things down quite a bit. Switching it up a bit as others have mentioned has worked for me in the past. Bouncing small flatfish off the bottom without a flasher or dodger normally finds a few small Mackinaw, and drifting a cricket just off the bottom has got me fish on slow days.

If you're interested in something different, bring a few crawdad traps. You'd starve to death trying to live off them, but they are a delicacy if you're willing to put in the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have spent our vacations for the last eight or so years at Caples Lake in late July and love the place !! Always had my best luck very early in the morning from the shore by the dam or Woods creek access !! We’ve also had success renting a boat and going way up in Emigrant cove and fishing night crawlers under a float about six feet or so!!! Seems that once the sun gets up high in the sky at Caples the fish go to sleep 😴 !! If you like but kicking hikes there is Emigrant lake up above Caples that is loaded with pan sized Brook trout that will hit anything you throw out in the lake !! Enjoy

3. Likes TBSP, Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be that they are looking for smaller things, sometimes just changing to a small lure like a spinner can do the trick. Remeber you are competing with what is in the lake, like crawdads and smaller bugs........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

5. Likes TBSP, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Troll a Needle fish, with about 30 feet of mono, behind 3 1/2 to 5 colors of
    lead core--No flashers or other hardware, troll relatively fast

this works in most mountain lakes, Loon, Ice House Union Valley, Caples etc.

Have Fun
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    The courage not to fib about it,
    and the wisdom to know that
    none will believe me anyway.

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great lake for scenery, climate, nature. Have fished there for several years. Haven't had much success the past few... a few rainbows and a mac from time to time. There are supposed to be browns there but I've never hooked one. We troll dodgers or flashers with kastmasters, rapallas, spoons, crawlers. I have had best luck from boat near spillway or dam. The best spots I've fished from shore are near dam or Woods Creek inlet. Used various Powebaits. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I brought my grandson and granddaughter there last Sunday and each caught a couple off the day area at the Dam. They were happy to spend fishing time with me and my wife.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

10. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommylee View Post
    Taking a trip to Caples lake next week to get out of the heat, has anyone fished it lately or have any tips for trolling? Where,with what,how deep? Thanks
    Fished Saturday from 6:30 to 1pm. Slow day overall, but did manage to get two stocker 3lbers, both on dodger crawler combinations. One by the dam and one across from the launch by a stream inlet. Grind it out fishing, but worth it - both kids caught one. Talked to a few others who had one at best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

went there yesterday (Friday) and trolled from 11am until 4pm. Launched at the county ramp and trolled the areas in front of the ramp and the creek mouths. Nothing. Used dodgers trailing a worm harness in various colors and then simple flashers and a crawler, still nothing. Wind picked up in the mid afternoon so we beached the boat and fished from shore for a while. Threw Kastmasters, nothing. Did not make it down to the resort area or the dam. Talked to several folks fishing from shore as well as boats in the area of the county ramp and all had empty stringers for the day. Frustrating day, but it is still one of my favorite lakes. We had a late start so that may have hampered things as well as fighting the afternoon wind.

14. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My son drove by and wanted to stop to throw a line but said it was wall to wall.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommylee View Post
    Taking a trip to Caples lake next week to get out of the heat, has anyone fished it lately or have any tips for trolling? Where,with what,how deep? Thanks
    Fish coming from the shore and trolling. The dam and around the creek mouths. CDFW is planning another stock there this week. I may be up there myself later in the week.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast