Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melting Lead Question

I have used wheels weights with no problems. I usually mix it up with other leads, your right, skim off the top you are good to go. Have found that if I used straight wheel weights that they would break in half coming out of a large mold, 4oz or larger. Your friend was right they looked like oatmeal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bret1972 View Post
    i’ve made quite a few lead weights so I am not new to it.

I always melt my lead outside and wear a N95 mask and faceshield, long pants, learher shoes and leather gloves.... usually a long sleeve shirt, but sometimes if it’s too hot I’ll be in a t shirt.
    Your equipment list is good to know .

I just bought a 15# mold and am planning to pour downrigger weights but will wait for cooler day(s) .
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Zinc melts at a higher temp than lead so if you arent over heating the lead they wont melt so you will be able to scoop them out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Melting Lead Question

iíve made quite a few lead weights so I am not new to it. I recently got a couple buckets of lead from a coworker. A lot of it contained wheel weights with the clips cut off of them. They look like the old lead wheel weights and are fairly heavy for their size. Today a guy was over at my house looking at them and he dropped a couple on the ground and said that from the sound of them they have a lot of zinc, not like the old lead ones. He said that if I tried to melt them that the fumes would be really bad and make me sick and that the lead would not pour well... said it would be like oatmeal consistency. I assumed any zinc or other contaminants would float to the top as has always been the case for me and I would skim off the slag. Does any of this sound right? I know those weights are not 100% pure, but they do look loke the older ones and are heavy for their size... zinc ainít heavy... so i canít imagine they have so much zinc they would be a problem. Iím just making weights, not bullets, I donít care about hard or soft, as long as they pour good and the weight is right. (Iíve been curious and spot checked anfew weights and never had any too far off, although they are not always exact).

I always melt my lead outside and wear a N95 mask and faceshield, long pants, learher shoes and leather gloves.... usually a long sleeve shirt, but sometimes if itís too hot Iíll be in a t shirt.
    Itís better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.