Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Donnell Fire Hwy 108 Closed.

great buck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Fire is a good thing for the deer. We can talk hunting up here too.
    Fire is a good thing for deer. New growth means more nutritious browse for deer. I've seen bucks in fresh burns looking for fresh sprouts, they chew 'em to a nub.

Heres a buck taken in a 2yr old burn. Just be careful of falling trees.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    This fire Has destroyed my hunting grounds and a resort that I've spent many years camping. And you guys want to talk about Pot growers.

Fire is a good thing for the deer. We can talk hunting up here too.

5. Likes MKE, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This fire Has destroyed my hunting grounds and a resort that I've spent many years camping. And you guys want to talk about Pot growers.
    Last edited by Steve_M; Yesterday at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the fire has made its way to Sword Lake, where I took my first backpack trip in the late ‘60’s. So sad...

Post Thanks / Like

Latest update from the Sheriff's Dept last night including an assessment of structures destroyed:

Tuolumne County Sheriff

Update August 11th, 9 PM:

USFS announces a community meeting is scheduled for August 13, 2018 from 5-6:30pm at the Word of Life Church located at 24630 Mi Mi-Wuk, CA 95346 to provide an update on the #DonnellFire

The Donnell Fire is at 26,814 acres with 20% containment.
    Although fire activity was relatively moderate today, fire did progress towards Spicer Reservoir to the North, Northeast towards Boulder Creek, and East along Highway 108. Specialized crews were assigned in the Spicer Reservoir and Carson Iceberg area to focus on suppression efforts. Structural protection continues as a priority for fire fighters along the Highway 108 corridor and 5N01 (Eagle Meadow Road). Operations are in process of addressing hazard trees along the Highway 108 corridor and in and around structures that have been affected by the fire. Helicopter water drops supported engines and hand crews on the ground. Although progress is being made on the fire, there is still a need for more resources to increase perimeter control of the fire.

Initial fire assessments have been completed for all recreation residence tracts along the 108 corridor. All permittees have been contacted regarding the condition of their cabin/resort. The main store and lodge of the Dardanelle Resort, 14 of 16 cabins in the Wagner Tract, 36 of 57 cabins in the Brightman Tract, 2 of 2 cabins in the Buena Vista Tract, and 1 of 10 cabins in the Bone Springs Tract have been destroyed by the fire. No structures have been reported lost at Baker Station, Brightman Ranger Station, and cabins in Riverside, Cedar Grove, Deadman, Baker, East and West Douglas, and Twin Buttes Tracts. Firefighters continue to patrol and protect structures within the fire perimeter, and risk is still present from both fire and hazardous trees. Forest Service is contacting permittees as soon as more information becomes available.

Mandatory Evacuations are still in effect along Highway 108 from Eagle Meadow Road to Kennedy Meadows (all residences and campgrounds) as well as all along Eagle Meadow Road (5N01) and the Clark Fork Road area. No new mandatory evacuations have been ordered.
    Advisory Evacuation for Mill Creek area was put into effect on August 8th and is still stands.

[End of update]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borntoscout View Post
    The Donnell fire is burning along what historians think is the probable route of the first overland immigrant party to come to California. They followed the West Walker River to near Coleville then crossed over Rodriquez Flat and ascended the East Carson River to Murray or Golden Canyon and crossed the Sierra crest at the top of Golden Canyon and descended through Paradise Valley, Disaster Creek and the Clark Fork to a rocky point between the Middle Fork and Dardanelles Creek. Here they hesitated to descend to Donnell flat, fearing the river was headed into an impassable gorge. Here one brash young man insisted he could make it through Donnell flat (now Donnell Reservoir) and was not seen by the rest of the party until some of them arrived at Sutter’s Fort. Two weeks ago I hiked up Disaster Creek to the pass at the top of Golden Canyon and was impressed by the size of some of the trees (as were the immigrants), the junipers in particular. Disaster Creek is (or was) home to a population of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. http://sonorapasspioneers.com/trailroute.html
    There used to be a sign at the Vista point depicting a battle between Piutes and early explorers in 1858. The sign is no longer there but I was able to locate a photo of it:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Donnell fire is burning along what historians think is the probable route of the first overland immigrant party to come to California. They followed the West Walker River to near Coleville then crossed over Rodriquez Flat and ascended the East Carson River to Murray or Golden Canyon and crossed the Sierra crest at the top of Golden Canyon and descended through Paradise Valley, Disaster Creek and the Clark Fork to a rocky point between the Middle Fork and Dardanelles Creek. Here they hesitated to descend to Donnell flat, fearing the river was headed into an impassable gorge. Here one brash young man insisted he could make it through Donnell flat (now Donnell Reservoir) and was not seen by the rest of the party until some of them arrived at Sutter’s Fort. Two weeks ago I hiked up Disaster Creek to the pass at the top of Golden Canyon and was impressed by the size of some of the trees (as were the immigrants), the junipers in particular. Disaster Creek is (or was) home to a population of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. http://sonorapasspioneers.com/trailroute.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post

Whether pot can be grown down there is debatable but the circumstances as to how this fire started is suspicious to say the least.
    I've heard people with the stories, just like the huge catfish below every dam ever built the size of volkswagens. Seen little proof. It does happen, I am not saying it does not, I just do not think it is as widespread as it used to be during prohibition.

It will in fact grow up that high, however the nighttime temps, especially in fall are not conducive to quality or production at that elevation IMO and would not be worth it to the cartels because of those reasons. Let alone to be doing that in a public place that has a vista point that is used daily by dozens of people, just seems too far fetched for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer about crossing Douglas Creek north side. I stayed in a family friend's cabin up there as a kid for years. It was the only cabin on a large granite slab. You had to drive across the creek and up a slope to the cabin. :(

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast