Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Donnell Fire Hwy 108 Closed.

The Donnell fire is burning along what historians think is the probable route of the first overland immigrant party to come to California. They followed the West Walker River to near Coleville then crossed over Rodriquez Flat and ascended the East Carson River to Murray or Golden Canyon and crossed the Sierra crest at the top of Golden Canyon and descended through Paradise Valley, Disaster Creek and the Clark Fork to a rocky point between the Middle Fork and Dardanelles Creek. Here they hesitated to descend to Donnell flat, fearing the river was headed into an impassable gorge. Here one brash young man insisted he could make it through Donnell flat (now Donnell Reservoir) and was not seen by the rest of the party until some of them arrived at Sutter’s Fort. Two weeks ago I hiked up Disaster Creek to the pass at the top of Golden Canyon and was impressed by the size of some of the trees (as were the immigrants), the junipers in particular. Disaster Creek is (or was) home to a population of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. http://sonorapasspioneers.com/trailroute.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post

Whether pot can be grown down there is debatable but the circumstances as to how this fire started is suspicious to say the least.
    I've heard people with the stories, just like the huge catfish below every dam ever built the size of volkswagens. Seen little proof. It does happen, I am not saying it does not, I just do not think it is as widespread as it used to be during prohibition.

It will in fact grow up that high, however the nighttime temps, especially in fall are not conducive to quality or production at that elevation IMO and would not be worth it to the cartels because of those reasons. Let alone to be doing that in a public place that has a vista point that is used daily by dozens of people, just seems too far fetched for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer about crossing Douglas Creek north side. I stayed in a family friend's cabin up there as a kid for years. It was the only cabin on a large granite slab. You had to drive across the creek and up a slope to the cabin. :(

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Thing we have noticed is that for the past two weeks we have not seen gardener trucks anywhere here. I can't mow my lawns due to the ash and smoke. Even birds showing up are unusual for this time of year. I had to fill my feeders yesterday and today we had 3 different hawks show up to try to catch them...…..Jetspray
    Wildfires displace wildlife, saw a flock of Cedar Waxwings show up today. They usually don't show up until November.

Guessing the wildfires up north displaced them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing we have noticed is that for the past two weeks we have not seen gardener trucks anywhere here. I can't mow my lawns due to the ash and smoke. Even birds showing up are unusual for this time of year. I had to fill my feeders yesterday and today we had 3 different hawks show up to try to catch them...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

USFS reports the Donnell Fire acreage has grown to 21,097 acres with 6% containment.

The fire has pushed further up the Arnot and Disaster Creek drainages to the northeast. The fire crossed Douglas Creek on the north side of Highway 108.

Judging by the fire map the fire is within 2 air miles of Kennedy meadows.

The Bennett Juniper is being guarded, this is the oldest juniper tree in America.

So far 55 structures and 81 minor structures destroyed.

The access road to Highland Lakes from Hwy 4 is closed due to the fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 08-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest update on Donnell fire:

Size: 17,941 Acres Contained: 4%

Latest reports state the Donnell fire on the northern end has reached the end of Clark's Fork valley and has entered the Iceberg Wilderness. A few years ago there was some decent fishing in the creek there. No roads in the wilderness area so its aerial and boots on the ground tactics there.

Earlier reports state Kennedy meadows was safe??? This is a popular fishing area and with a major trailhead leading into the Emigrant Wilderness. Lots of lakes with rainbows, browns and rainbows to the south. Hopefully they can avert the fire in this area.

Stay safe and hope/pray for the best!

12. Likes Jetspray, dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    You can definitely grow pot at high altitudes. I’ve heard of some being grown over 7000’ up to 9000’. There are certain strains that are bred for high altitude cultivation. Strains from Afghanistan are among them . The “kush” strain is one. I do not use pot and haven’t for many many years. I was a child of the 60’s and partook of pot a lot in my youth. Don’t want anything to do with it now.
    Earlier this year at a bbq a good friend I’ve know from high school who is still a stoner and I consider an expert on the weed had a long discussion on pot. He educated me about the different types, growing techniques etc etc. He told me that pot can be grown at fairly high elevations. It it is no surprise to me that an illegal pot grow may be the cause of thes Fire.
    They have grown it in Leadville Co on an indoor site that got busted when I was there in Canyon City Co visiting my dad before he passed away. There are 4 "Clinics" between Canyon City and Pueblo on hwy 50 (Green Cross types). Leadville is over 11,000 feet alt...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

14. Likes Waterdog, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Markleeville is 5863 feet in elevation.
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can definitely grow pot at high altitudes. I’ve heard of some being grown over 7000’ up to 9000’. There are certain strains that are bred for high altitude cultivation. Strains from Afghanistan are among them . The “kush” strain is one. I do not use pot and haven’t for many many years. I was a child of the 60’s and partook of pot a lot in my youth. Don’t want anything to do with it now.
    Earlier this year at a bbq a good friend I’ve know from high school who is still a stoner and I consider an expert on the weed had a long discussion on pot. He educated me about the different types, growing techniques etc etc. He told me that pot can be grown at fairly high elevations. It it is no surprise to me that an illegal pot grow may be the cause of thes Fire.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast