Post Thanks / Like

Re: catfish guidance needed

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Just a word of caution about the date you’ve chosen. Labor Day weekend is the busiest weekend of the year. Almost wherever you go is going to be super crowded with boaters, skiers, jet skis, campers and on and on. Probably one of the worst times to go out fishing.
    As far as catfish the delta is a good place to catch them especially in the back quiet sloughs. I like fishing along tules or in shady areas where trees close to the bank shade the water.
    Try a variety of baits, clams, night crawlers, sardines, chicken livers, commercial catfish stink baits. If you don’t get any action in half an hour or so move to another location.
    As far as pan fish and fun for the kids and wife try the same type areas in the delta and use a bobber with your bait suspended a couple feet below. Try worms. You will probably catch dinky fish but the kids will have fun.
    I live in Elk Grove and would be happy to take you out (free, no charge) but I have commitments for the next few weeks that will keep me from being able to fish or do much of anything.

Maybe Labor Day fishing is not such a good idea. but I still need to learn Will take your advise and will find some place to try it this weekend.
    Thank you Waterdog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    Hungfish, take a look at Lake Minden RV resort. Its just north of Sac. Its got a good population on cats, panfish and carp. They have play grounds and a swim beach for the kids. PM me and I'll give you some tips on where to fish it and setups.
    Thank you Plug-n-Jug. Will look up Minden.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of caution about the date you’ve chosen. Labor Day weekend is the busiest weekend of the year. Almost wherever you go is going to be super crowded with boaters, skiers, jet skis, campers and on and on. Probably one of the worst times to go out fishing.
    As far as catfish the delta is a good place to catch them especially in the back quiet sloughs. I like fishing along tules or in shady areas where trees close to the bank shade the water.
    Try a variety of baits, clams, night crawlers, sardines, chicken livers, commercial catfish stink baits. If you don’t get any action in half an hour or so move to another location.
    As far as pan fish and fun for the kids and wife try the same type areas in the delta and use a bobber with your bait suspended a couple feet below. Try worms. You will probably catch dinky fish but the kids will have fun.
    I live in Elk Grove and would be happy to take you out (free, no charge) but I have commitments for the next few weeks that will keep me from being able to fish or do much of anything.

4. Likes Katch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hungfish View Post
    Hello Sniffers,
    Wife and kids wants to go fishing Labor day weekend and I thought either catfish or pan fish maybe the way to go so they don't get bored. Problem is I know little of both fish... the how and the where. I am looking for for guidance. If you are willing to share some knowlege, please do. Either PM me or on open forum. Also willing to pay guide fee if you can show me on your boat or We can go on mine. Boat ain't pretty but floats and run. Saturday Sunday or monday this week is best so I can practice and ready for labor day.

background:
    live in elk grove
    professional with day job
    still a rookie at fishing; like to fish but only able to make it out 4-5x a year---
    fish for striper in the fall; mainly bait fish
    tried catfishing out at liberty island a couple of time with poor outcome.

*Prefer river or slough due to the traquility of the river; but will take any suggestions given

Appreciate any helps you can.
    hungfish
    Hungfish, take a look at Lake Minden RV resort. Its just north of Sac. Its got a good population on cats, panfish and carp. They have play grounds and a swim beach for the kids. PM me and I'll give you some tips on where to fish it and setups.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

catfish guidance needed

Hello Sniffers,
    Wife and kids wants to go fishing Labor day weekend and I thought either catfish or pan fish maybe the way to go so they don't get bored. Problem is I know little of both fish... the how and the where. I am looking for for guidance. If you are willing to share some knowlege, please do. Either PM me or on open forum. Also willing to pay guide fee if you can show me on your boat or We can go on mine. Boat ain't pretty but floats and run. Saturday Sunday or monday this week is best so I can practice and ready for labor day.

background:
    live in elk grove
    professional with day job
    still a rookie at fishing; like to fish but only able to make it out 4-5x a year---
    fish for striper in the fall; mainly bait fish
    tried catfishing out at liberty island a couple of time with poor outcome.

*Prefer river or slough due to the traquility of the river; but will take any suggestions given

Appreciate any helps you can.
    hungfish
    Last edited by hungfish; 08-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.