Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Smoky Topaz 08/09

C'dads have been there for years. I think it is a good sign that they are on the rise, maybe they will deplete the carp population as well. Lake has gotten good water for a few years. I does get the occasional good season, hope to get out there again soon. The truck is back up to snuff......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes Captain Compassion, PMR#9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoky Topaz 08/09

As you know I have fished the area for years .I have caught one fish out of topaz .20 plus years ago .Stuck in traffic road closed Headed for Sonora campground .Walked down to lake and it was getting dark .started twitching a rebel and was rewarded with a really nice brown .Sounds like the carsons are the place to be .Maybe next week

4. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PMR#9 View Post
    Pretty hard to fish when you have to chew the air .Did you put a hook in the bug and send it back out ? I have seen crawdads in the river many times .Almost always while cleaning fish at the rivers edge .Keen sense of smell for sure .
    Was tempted. Cast it out in front of the bushes. There are some good smallies in this lake.
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

6. Likes MKE, PMR#9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty hard to fish when you have to chew the air .Did you put a hook in the bug and send it back out ? I have seen crawdads in the river many times .Almost always while cleaning fish at the rivers edge .Keen sense of smell for sure .

8. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya the smoke sucks but it happens every few years or so. I have always have had smokey and ashy Skies if a fire is close. Hit the West Fork and the East Fork of the Carson it's been red hot with big 5+ pounders the last few weeks!!!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

10. Likes Captain Compassion, MtnFisher, PMR#9 liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smoky Topaz 08/09

I grew up in Los Angeles in the 50s and 60s. At that time LA was the smog capital of the world. But of all the years living there I can't remember air quality as poor as that I experienced at Topaz lake today. Two major fires just to the SW are creating world class smoky conditions. JB Fishing and I arrived at Topaz Lake at 0600. We decided to fish below the bug station. The lake is down around 6 feet sense the last time I was there. We fished 4 1/2 hours with a few soft bites and only one pissed mud bug to the shore. I had always wondered if there were crawdads in Topaz. Now I know. There were a few boats on the water with no lake lice. Guess they don't like a little smoke. Found out I took 45 place in the Walker River Derby. Won a $5 lure. Thanks for the ride Jeff. Topaz should pick up in September.

CC

Smoky Topaz

Catch of the Day

45th Place
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

12. Likes MtnFisher, PMR#9 liked this post