Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kind of like fishing at a landfill

Sad, isn't it.
    The big flows will come this winter and flush it all out. Then it will be in the delta and ocean waters. Only to have the cycle repeat itself.
    I wish I had a clear answer.
    Channel your inner Lorax.
    Gratitude

2. Likes steeliesNstripers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad used to tell me, ďif youíre not part of the solution youíre part of the problemĒ. If every angler brings one small bag to their site and some good gloves and haul out just one bag each trip we could all have clean places to enjoy and feel good about doing our part to keep our community clean. Itís a shame that weíve got to this place where this is necessary, but itís going to get worse if we all donít chip in and do something about it. Just my two cents...

4. Likes kromebrite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was scouting freeport this past week and the thrash problem is really disappointing and was enough to make me head to another spot. I'm only new to fishing (been only fishing a little over a year) but I keep a leave nothing behind policy when it comes to my stuff. The amount of trash that was piled up at the bank when I was there last week was enough to fill a big trash bin. Gloves, bait packaging, terminal tackle packaging, etc was just all over the place. I don't understand why people can't seem to just use a bag to put their garbage and take it home. This is not only a problem with freeport but any area where people fish from the bank. I bank fish at garcia bend (north gate) on a regular basis and the amount of stuff people leave at the bank is just sickening sometimes. If not for the lady that collects the recycled stuff, I'd probably stop fishing my regular spot too because the amount of bottles and containers being left is just crazy.

Maybe for those who read this post and fish there on a regular basis then they could spread the word about bringing home their trash and remind any fisherman they see to grab their garbage or any garbage for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived and traveled extensively in Europe a few years back. Very, very rarely did I see any trash/litter in public places. The road sides, river banks and town squares were always clean. I now live in a rural area and everyday there is a new trash bag, pile of bags, tires or major appliance on the side of the road just dumped there by someone overnight. The river banks are covered with trash almost everywhere I've been this year.

What's the difference? Why do people just toss their trash anywhere here in the U.S.? There are laws against it here just like Europe. What gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Eventually we will lose access to that area because of this. Someone owns that area and some day they will tire of the litter and mess that fisherman leave behind. I'm not so sure it's the actions of a few down there either. The few are the ones who carry their stuff out and pick up extra trash while they are there. Unfortunately I think that more people down there leave their crap.
    A veteran - Whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is an Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep used to go striper fishing down there I quit going around 7 or 8 years ago because of that fact. It's sad and like you said it was alot of fishermen stuff but now they just pass it off on the homeless. But we know better so when places get closed down and less bank access I'm like domt cry about it I've seen what the fisherman do. And it really sucks because i bank fish myself. Glad i mostly kayak fish now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

9. Likes MKE, Yearroundfisherman, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why it's been many years since I've fished that river, it's just not my kind of fishing.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

11. Likes CAL.NDN, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    So I havenít filled an empty seat from my post on the Hitchhiker
    post yet so I thought Iíd try from the bank. Went to Freeport, just south of the bridge. Good parking and a safe trip to the water. First thing I noticed in the parking space was a lot of trash on the ground. Fisherman trash. Rubber gloves, hook containers and so on. Okay dump your trash up here. No cans so throw it on the ground. Down to the water. OMG! It looked like a landfill. Trash everywhere. The bank was covered with enough empty fishing trash you would need a full roll of garbage bags.

What happened to carry it in and carry it out? I just left.
    Went there 2 years ago and it was the same way. Just disgusting. Smelled like urine and piles of toilet paper in all the bushes too. Although we caught 2 nice salmon that day and saw 3 others caught, I havenít been back because the place was horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of like fishing at a landfill

So I havenít filled an empty seat from my post on the Hitchhiker
    post yet so I thought Iíd try from the bank. Went to Freeport, just south of the bridge. Good parking and a safe trip to the water. First thing I noticed in the parking space was a lot of trash on the ground. Fisherman trash. Rubber gloves, hook containers and so on. Okay dump your trash up here. No cans so throw it on the ground. Down to the water. OMG! It looked like a landfill. Trash everywhere. The bank was covered with enough empty fishing trash you would need a full roll of garbage bags.

What happened to carry it in and carry it out? I just left.