Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: State Water Project- siphoning the salmon

Quote Originally Posted by folide View Post
    Good riddance to you when you move out! More Delta fish for me. I don't agree with all the taxes and policies but at least there is some conservation happening in this state and after traveling about 25 other states there is no other state I would like to live in except maybe Oregon.
    There is some great conservation going on in most states. Many of our conservation programs here are the results of environmental wackos that do more harm than good.
    You say More Delta fish for you. Wait til Gov. Moonbeam gets his delta tunnels. There will be few fish for you. Haven’t you heard too that some legislators want to exterminate the striper population in the delta? See how the fishing is if that happens. Thats California conservation. I’ve lived in California my entire life. I remember when I could go out and catch of strippers all over 30 inches. Not anymore. Good conservation there ok. I remember the Sacramento Valley being loaded with wild pheasant everywhere. I could get a 3 pheasant limit in an hour or two. Now you will rarely see a wild pheasant anywhere in Cali. Good conservation there too. I remember catching 10 fish limits of trout up on the Feather and it’s tributaries, none of them planters. That’s gone, more good conservation.
    The logging industry in California has basically been destroyed because of pseudo conservation and insane environmental nut jobs. But as you say there is definitely some conservation happening in this state.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes Datster_2000, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GR8ANGLER View Post
    What a shame. California used to be a great place to live. I am seriously thinking about moving out of this state because of these crazy politics. My son lives in San Francisco and in all honesty I don’t know how he does it. He works downtown in the financial district. He told me when he goes in early in the morning “you have to keep your witts about you and have eyes on anyone that moves”. I’m afraid that we will be going from bad to worse with Gavin Newsom. God help us!!!!

Good riddance to you when you move out! More Delta fish for me. I don't agree with all the taxes and policies but at least there is some conservation happening in this state and after traveling about 25 other states there is no other state I would like to live in except maybe Oregon.
    Last edited by folide; Today at 01:29 PM.

4. Dislikes Waterdog, GR8ANGLER disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    The "San Francisco" where an annual household income of $117K and less is considered eligible for financial assistance?!?!

I'm all for capitalism, but only if there is integrity to go along with it.......

It's all about who will have and who will have nothing...... If you had planned to be retired and cash neutral, but fish rich...... out of luck.
    California is one of the richest States in the Country and San Francisco is one of the "richest" cities in the world, let alone the United States. They also have one of the MOST progressive local governments in the Country, and have for decades. They actually give homeless people CASH! on a monthly basis. They pay an absolutely astounding amount of money on picking up trash, fecal matter, drug needles, etc. all over the city. Those policies just don't work. We need to look at real solutions for these problems. Better and no cost drug rehabilitation, mental health, and other programs to get people off of drugs and self sufficient. Giving them free needles and cash for drugs and then trying to clean it all up later hasn't worked out too well so far and it NEVER will. Just walk around downtown sometime and then let me know how well it's working out... SAD!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GR8ANGLER View Post
    What a shame. California used to be a great place to live. I am seriously thinking about moving out of this state because of these crazy politics. My son lives in San Francisco and in all honesty I don’t know how he does it. He works downtown in the financial district. He told me when he goes in early in the morning “you have to keep your witts about you and have eyes on anyone that moves”. I’m afraid that we will be going from bad to worse with Gavin Newsom. God help us!!!!
    The "San Francisco" where an annual household income of $117K and less is considered eligible for financial assistance?!?!

I'm all for capitalism, but only if there is integrity to go along with it.......

It's all about who will have and who will have nothing...... If you had planned to be retired and cash neutral, but fish rich...... out of luck.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; Yesterday at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: State Water Project- siphoning the salmon

8. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    100% Accurate reports
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for your supporting comments. Even though we are powerless it's good to know there are other set of eyes that seems similar problems as I do. I wanted to get it posted because the website has a disclaimer that the Salvage records are subject to change. You see they multiply out those numbers based off of a sampling and when the projected numbers are alarming you can bet that they may change. There's always a spin on the information. Thanks again guys

10. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. Water in California equals power and money. Fish and wildlife, ecology and conservation don’t even have a real seat at that table. Few politicians know anything about nor care about fish, wildlife, conservation or ecology. All that matters to Brown and his administration is the twin tunnels which is the corner stone of his political legacy and the legacy of his father who started the grand water export sham.
    Only a handful of fishermen and conservationists pay any attention to the plight of our salmon fishery and other fish and wildlife issues. Politicians don’t really care, there’s no money or power in it for them. Hate to be so negative but that is the way I see it.
    As Bob Dylan said “money doesn’t talk, it swears”. It’s all about the money.
    Last edited by Waterdog; Yesterday at 12:41 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StikMan Modesto CA View Post
    I would like to trust the divisions of government appointed to manage our fisheries and our water supply. I read countless articles about striped bass and their predication on the salmon including a 500-page report about the striper predication at the head of Old River. this is your typical spin on information to support a Cause for a particular reason.
    In March on the San Joaquin River a barrier is supposed to be erected too close the head of Old River which leads to a maze of slough's that end up near the Tracy pumping plants for the CVP and swp pumps for the water exports into the southbound aqueducts. The water flows were high and they were unable to install the barrier at the head of Old River. Regardless the state water project started two water transfers and increased their exports from 5000 acre feet on March 13th 2 12000 acre feet on March 30th. During the same time. The CVP was exporting about 6000 acre feet. Around March 27th the salmon Salvage numbers jumped to about 750 salmon a day. That's more salmon going to salvage in one day then all the previous days of the month total together. The numbers Stay High through April second. On April 2nd the numbers dropped to 300. What changed the numbers of salmon entering the Salvage? A barrier was installed at Tracy on the Old River which was completely close on April 2nd. This Barrier installation is the only reasonable explanation why the Salvage number on the salmon decreased. Unfortunately this barrier also traps salmon that were pulled into these sloughs . You can't install a barrier at the end of a maze of slough's to solve this problem. You have to install the barrier at the entrance which is the head of Old River. These trap salmon are forced to take another maze of water ways to get out. It seems that they would have a system in place that slows down the rate of water export when the Salvage numbers show that there are significant salmon being trapped. It's not the time to pump. They should know this. Their actions are Reckless and not supportive of conservation steps taken by other divisions of government and the public. Department of Fish and Wildlife tells me I can't fish for a salmon in the southern Delta and yet the state water project and Central Valley Project 10 siphon 850 salmon a day and no one wants to talk about it. I have a lot of supporting graphs but could not post them. Placing attention where it needs to be. Ken
    For decades fisherman have taken the brunt...... when BuRec, through various mismanaged practices, have killed more salmon than anyone else.....

https://bayecotarium.org/wp-content/...ter_report.pdf

Older information here on page #42. "Entrainment" at the pumps........ 13+ million Striped Bass in one year alone.... how many Salmonids actually survive the salvage process?!?!...... I've got a picture of the basket (loaded with fish) used to lift the salvaged fish from the "screen"...... not pretty.

Seems to me that it would be a lot less expensive to engineer a better fish screen, restore fish nursery habitat (for all species and components of the food chain), and manage water diversion timetable with fish in mind, not Almonds. But these practices do not entitle the water diverters ALL the water they want, WHEN they want it.

Same old story....... get tired of bringing these facts to light every other year, etc. It's about money and power, not about what's right.

14. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Datster_2000 View Post
    Please figure out a way to post your information. I'm sure there may be at least one news outlet which would love to expose the hypocrisy of our government. I'm currently in So-Cal and there was quite a bit of opposition to the twin-tunnels boondoggle, but our current Governor twisted arms to burden the ratepayers with a colossal debt. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, it was reported that the ratepayers in Southern California opposed paying for the twin-tunnel projects, but the water district managers chose otherwise for reasons we can infer......

"Democracy only works with accountability......." there is none, especially when it comes to Brown's legacy project.

16. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StikMan Modesto CA View Post
    I would like to trust the divisions of government appointed to manage our fisheries and our water supply. I read countless articles about striped bass and their predication on the salmon including a 500-page report about the striper predication at the head of Old River. this is your typical spin on information to support a Cause for a particular reason.
    In March on the San Joaquin River a barrier is supposed to be erected too close the head of Old River which leads to a maze of slough's that end up near the Tracy pumping plants for the CVP and swp pumps for the water exports into the southbound aqueducts. The water flows were high and they were unable to install the barrier at the head of Old River. Regardless the state water project started two water transfers and increased their exports from 5000 acre feet on March 13th 2 12000 acre feet on March 30th. During the same time. The CVP was exporting about 6000 acre feet. Around March 27th the salmon Salvage numbers jumped to about 750 salmon a day. That's more salmon going to salvage in one day then all the previous days of the month total together. The numbers Stay High through April second. On April 2nd the numbers dropped to 300. What changed the numbers of salmon entering the Salvage? A barrier was installed at Tracy on the Old River which was completely close on April 2nd. This Barrier installation is the only reasonable explanation why the Salvage number on the salmon decreased. Unfortunately this barrier also traps salmon that were pulled into these sloughs . You can't install a barrier at the end of a maze of slough's to solve this problem. You have to install the barrier at the entrance which is the head of Old River. These trap salmon are forced to take another maze of water ways to get out. It seems that they would have a system in place that slows down the rate of water export when the Salvage numbers show that there are significant salmon being trapped. It's not the time to pump. They should know this. Their actions are Reckless and not supportive of conservation steps taken by other divisions of government and the public. Department of Fish and Wildlife tells me I can't fish for a salmon in the southern Delta and yet the state water project and Central Valley Project 10 siphon 850 salmon a day and no one wants to talk about it. I have a lot of supporting graphs but could not post them. Placing attention where it needs to be. Ken
    Please figure out a way to post your information. I'm sure there may be at least one news outlet which would love to expose the hypocrisy of our government. I'm currently in So-Cal and there was quite a bit of opposition to the twin-tunnels boondoggle, but our current Governor twisted arms to burden the ratepayers with a colossal debt. Thanks in advance.

18. Likes TBSP liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast