Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for suggestion on a low cost baitcaster reel for bank salmon fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Danes View Post
    I am looking for suggestions for a good tough low profile baitcaster reel for bank fishing for salmon that is under $100. Something that can handle the big ones, has a good drag and will hold up over a couple years of hard fishing. Thanks in advance.
    There's some killer reels on offer up rt now once ure on the site just type in fishing reels i lust recently picked up 2 nice calcutta's for $150

STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for suggestion on a low cost baitcaster reel for bank salmon fishing

Check this new Shimano out they're the best https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shim...cpage-SLX.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will look into everyone's suggestions.

Are you using braid or mono for your main line by the way and what pound test? One thing that i am starting to realize is that I prefer mono for my main line not only because of the expense or braid, but also because my braid seems to fray easily when I am bank fishing and nicking rocks and also makes tangles more difficult to get out of. I would hope to spool my reel with about 150 yards of 15 - 20 pound mono. It looks like the Diawa Lexa 300 line capacity for mono is 12/240, 14/190 so that may get me close if I use 17lb test for the main line?
    I wouldn't use braid, it's true it'll fray easily when bank fishing by nicking rocks, hard to untangle and...it will upset fisherman next to you if you two tangle up lines, seen it happen many times because most fisherman on the bank use mono and it really nicks up that line, so stick to mono or copolymer which is a great line too. On the Feather River at the outlet I believe those guys use 50/65lb line braid with 2/3 oz weights?.. but not around here in the Sac or the American. Braid is more expensive. You can also pull the hook out of the mouth of when setting the hook when it hits your lure, seen that happen many times, me too. It basically doesn't stretch, you want some stretch to let the hook sink into the jaw just right and not have it yanked out. Braid is good for bank Striper/Sturgeon fishing and maybe trolling. Some fisherman say it's fine because they use it but I've banked fished for years and rarely seen it used by the experienced fisherman IMO.

With a low profile 7 to 8 oz./200 baitcaster that's lighter and easier for hours of bank fishing..100 to 120 yards if just fine for Salmon. You also don't need 17 to 20lb line for Salmon OR want 17 to 20lb on that reel IMO. If you get the Lexa 300 w/the power handle for the bank fishing that's up to you, maybe you want to use it for other type of fishing, like stripers too. But it holds more and is heavier at 11oz and you can get 2 uses out of a 300 yard spool, guess you can put on 17lb on that if you want....I mostly see is 12 to 15lb line, I've seen guys use 10lb for Salmon. Low profile baitcast reels do better with the line less than 15lb line IMO. Now you can use 17/20lb for a 2 foot leader off your main line using a snap swivel or better yet a bearing snap swivel to a swivel on your leader for less line line twist to your Flying C or just tie the Flying C to your main line. I mostly use a Shimano spinning reel but also my Curado 201E. I use 14lb. sometimes 12lb. main line and a 2 foot 25lb. leader to get out of rocks better, better hook up w/little less stretch at the lure when setting the hook and Salmon also have sharp teeth. I use the polomar knot on everything.

Another tip is using the drag right, you should be able to pull your line out by hand easily, not 'super easy' or need to 'really pull hard'. That's a good setting because you want to tire the fish, not horse him in, he's going to keep running hard so tire him out. Don't reel in when he runs either, tight lines!..and only 1 Salmon per day now!!..I like to use Sufix elite ultra premium mono in 14lb, clear or moss green, you can use the 12lb too for around $8.99. It comes in 330 yards, that's "3 uses" at 110 yards. Also use P-line premium CX moss green 12 or 15lb, comes in 300 yard spool for $8 and there's at least a dozen more mono/copolymer lines. I clip off 4-6 inch main line everytime you re-tie your main to swivel everytime you go out fishing. When the line gets low or after 6 weeks of hard fishing or the next year, it's up to you, change your line. You must line your reel correctly, the line comes off the spool the same direction it goes on you reel. Go to Fisherman's Warehouse, they do it for free. They have a machine that does it right, nice and tight and can count exact yardage like 110 yards for 3 uses. So that's my 2 cents, too long but hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mark1; 09-05-2018 at 04:39 AM.

4. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will look into everyone's suggestions.

Are you using braid or mono for your main line by the way and what pound test? One thing that i am starting to realize is that I prefer mono for my main line not only because of the expense or braid, but also because my braid seems to fray easily when I am bank fishing and nicking rocks and also makes tangles more difficult to get out of. I would hope to spool my reel with about 150 yards of 15 - 20 pound mono. It looks like the Diawa Lexa 300 line capacity for mono is 12/240, 14/190 so that may get me close if I use 17lb test for the main line?

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for suggestions for a good tough low profile baitcaster reel for bank fishing for salmon that is under $100. Something that can handle the big ones, has a good drag and will hold up over a couple years of hard fishing. Thanks in advance.
    The good tough low profile baitcasters that will hold up over a few years with a good drag will usually be over $100. Better to save up a little more.

From about $70 to $99...The Diawa Fuego, the Bass Pro Qualifier, Shimano Caenan, Shimano Casitas and the Shimano SLX baitcaster at $99. There's more reels than what I have listed so you may have to google them up.....there's also FishUSA.com or drive to Bass Pro, Sportsman's W.H and Fisherman's W.H. and compare for yourself.

From about $129 to $149...The Shimano Curado 200IPG and the Shimano Citica. Then the Shimano Curado K at $179, I've heard really good things about this one. The Shimano Calcutta at $199 but it's not a 'low profile' baitcaster. Then the bigger $199 Daiwa Lexa 300 with a power handle, might be too big for constant casting at 11 oz. and more money.

I have the '09 green Curado 201E and Citica, both real nice reels that have held up good over the years. So maybe save more money for a reel with a good drag that will last for years over $100.
    Last edited by Mark1; 09-04-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Second on the Diawa Lexa 300. Awesome reels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Curado, they have a lower end unit now:

SHIMANO 200IPG Curado RH Baitcast Reel, Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II1UY04..._MGWIBbN54DPWP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Spend a few extra bucks and Get a daiwa Lexa 300 wn. Can pick 1 up on eBay with a coupon code 20% off. Justrelax is the code. Can get 1 for $125 with the code.
    I beat the piss out of mine and it’s still going strong.

10. Likes Cali Duck, jjb, Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been happy with my Pro Qualifier by Bass Pro. They are usually $99 but currently on sale this weekend for $75. Spooled mine with 12lb line for throwing spinners, but also use it for those rare times I go for catfish.
    I even have a bass pro spinning reel I bought in the 90’s that’s still kickin’.
    It’s better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for suggestion on a low cost baitcaster reel for bank salmon fishing

Last edited by Danes; 08-31-2018 at 10:13 PM.