Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where are the American River Salmon???

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    I took a walk on the upper AR this morning. Spent a hour between the survey cable and Sailor Bar. Only two fisherman at Sailor and one below the hatchery. They had no luck and I didn't see one fish roll or flash in the water. Sad, I was getting them in that stretch this time last year. I'll check the usual spots on the lower end this weekend.
    The strays from last year aren’t going up the AR. They’re going up the Sac where they should’ve gone last year. The AR is a late run river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I took a walk on the upper AR this morning. Spent a hour between the survey cable and Sailor Bar. Only two fisherman at Sailor and one below the hatchery. They had no luck and I didn't see one fish roll or flash in the water. Sad, I was getting them in that stretch this time last year. I'll check the usual spots on the lower end this weekend.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPR View Post
    They did not supplement salmon from the Eel River, it was Steelhead. The run timing has been pushed back by how they operate the dam. At first the runs came in earlier due to the cooler water reserve of the dam but each year they seem to allocate more water and are running out of the cold water pool in Folsom. Water temps down below 60 degrees needed for spawning do not happen until mid November. I remember in the 90s that the river would drop down in the upper fifties in mid October. This is pushing back the run and also limiting the success of them rearing, essentially stealing a month of growth before they migrate out.
    Thanks I thought they took fish from the eel and supplemented it i knew they did steelhead. Made sense to me with run timing, but water temp I am with you 100%, cold cold cold.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it was you ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    I was at river bend today, remember the deep hole at the bottom end where it goes around the corner before the big houses? It's not there. The fish would stack up there and jump all over the place. It's just a long chute now.

Yeup I know exactly where you are talking about.......There are really no "deep" holes between river bend and grist anymore....there are some juicy looking runs and some good steel head looking water, but no more deep salmon holding holes. I floated that section a couple weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Take this info however you want.

For many years, I have cross referenced my catches (and cousins) from the delta with those of guides and angler posts on a variety of websites up river for the American, Feather and Sacramento. What I have found is that the fish we usually catch in August to the middle of September were headed to the Feather (mostly) or Sac. Those fish caught from September 10th to the beginning of October, were usually the American fish and the main run of the Sac. Fish caught from October on in the delta were either stragglers of the American and Sac or the late-fall run fish headed for the Sac (usually these are the biggest fish of the season).

Nothing scientific. Just lots of comparative data.

So in my opinion, get ready for the American fish to show. They should be coming soon.

7. Likes Kaban12, Chrome Seeker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkfisher49 View Post
    It seems like the American fish show up July-Sept, but back when the dam was built they had to supplement the runs with fish from the Eel, so seems par for the course that these fish are in later in the run (sept-oct/nov) as the Eel fish usually don't make an appearance until then in the lower river then the rains kick in and they are off, we "usually" don't have a water problem on the American. But I have seen in a normal season last week or 10 days of September through the upper river closure on October 31st be pretty good. But that is just my 2 cents..

Brad "Hunkfisher"

They did not supplement salmon from the Eel River, it was Steelhead. The run timing has been pushed back by how they operate the dam. At first the runs came in earlier due to the cooler water reserve of the dam but each year they seem to allocate more water and are running out of the cold water pool in Folsom. Water temps down below 60 degrees needed for spawning do not happen until mid November. I remember in the 90s that the river would drop down in the upper fifties in mid October. This is pushing back the run and also limiting the success of them rearing, essentially stealing a month of growth before they migrate out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Lots of new holes on the river. Gives the river new secret holes.

Are you telling me all the holes I just looked up online are not there anymore and now I have to go find new ones??? I hope google can point me in the right direction

10. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    I was at river bend today, remember the deep hole at the bottom end where it goes around the corner before the big houses? It's not there. The fish would stack up there and jump all over the place. It's just a long chute now.

I think you're talking about where it gets deep next to the clay banks. It gets more narrow and deeper on the River Bend side just past the riffle area where fisherman toss out bead and leader towards that small island for Salmon across from the Sarah Court river access. Fly fisherman park there and walk a few hundred yards up river towards Ancil Hoffman. The power lines are about 1/4 mile up from there. After the deep hole/clay bank run and up to the tailout area where the fly fisherman fish, I've seen a few drift boats anchored there around this time or in Oct.. I guess fishing for Salmon with plugs or something at the tailout before the river split...So I wonder how it's gone..if that's the deep hole at the bottom end you speak of. If it's like a chute it sounds more narrow? I'll need to go out there one day to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of new holes on the river. Gives the river new secret holes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast