Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oakland Estuary Bank Fishing

I was born and raised in Oakland but haven’t fished the Estuary in 50 years. It’s simple fishing. A hook and a weight on a sliding sinker. For bait most of the things you would use in the bay - cut sardines, anchovies, grass shrimp, pile worms, blood worms, squid..... You may catch a variety of fish including striper, shark, rays, perch and so on. A word of caution, Oakland is a bad ass low life thug ridden city. You need to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings and what’s going on around you. There’s a lot of places in Oakland that can be dangerous to your health. There are some nice places too. Check out Jack London Square at the foot of Broadway. You’ll find some good restaurants and bars there. With that said hope you catch a lot, tight lines.
    Attached is a short video on fishing in Oakland.

http://youtu.be/dEN5BnEfw5o
    Last edited by Waterdog; 09-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Correction; officially Port View Pier. 7th street is more of an informal label.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check out 7th street pier which is a short ride in Oakland. Small octagon by the port. I have caught shark there, and hear it can be good for mackerel etc. Do a google search and you will see where it's at. I bet you can catch a bat ray there , which is always a fun thumb burner.
    Take a look at pierfishing.com. That will have a lot of info.
    The rock wall can be good although I have only fished the area by boat. I focus on shark, and the region can be very productive.
    Last edited by kromebrite; 09-10-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

go throw small swimbaits behind the restaurant in Alameda, it's right by the rockwall boat ramp. Halipers.

Post Thanks / Like

Oakland Estuary Bank Fishing

I am heading to Oakland for a week in the end of September and will be staying on the shore of what I believe is called the estuary directly to the east of coast guard island. I am from waaaaay out of town and have never been in the area. I would like to do some fishing on my free time since I dont know what else to do. Can anyone give me some info on this area? It would be nice to not get skunked the entire week i am there.